Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 15t-df100 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When my computer wakes from sleep often the internet is disconnected. The computer will indicate that I am connected to a wifi network but that there is no internet connection. To get it to work I have to either disconnect and reconnect or select a different network. I have searched for a solution and nothing has worked. The most common is to go to the wifi adapter properties, click the power management tab, and select "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." My wifi adapter, an Intel 6 AX200, does not have a power management tab. I have also made sure that Windows is set to never turn off the network adapter during sleep. Also, all my drivers and software are up-to-date.

How can this be fixed?

Thanks,

Chris

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

@Moose444 Welcome to HP Community!

I have a few steps that should help resolve the issue once and for all:

Reset IP/ TCP

1. Press and hold the button “Windows” and the button “X”.
  2. From the menu that shows up, you will need to left click or tap on the “Command Prompt (admin)” icon.
  3. Now that you have the command prompt with administrative rights in front of the screen you will need to write the following command: “netsh winsock reset catalog” without the quotes.
  4. Press the “Enter” button on the keyboard.
  5. Write the following command: “netsh int ip reset reset.log hit” without the quotes.
  6. Press the “Enter” button on the keyboard.
  7. Now you will need to restart your Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 operating system.
  8. Check and see if you still cannot connect to your wireless network.

Set WLAN Autoconfig to Automatic

1. Left click or tap on the “Start” button.
  2. In the Start window you need to write the following: “services.msc” without the quotes.
  3. When the search is finished, left click or tap on the “services.msc” icon that pops up.
  4. Now you have a “Services” window in front of the screen.
  5. Look on the right side panel in this window for “WLAN Autoconfig”
  6. Right click or hold tap on the “WLAN Autoconfig” feature.
  7. Left click or tap on the “Properties” feature for the “WLAN Autoconfig” option.
  8. Left click or tap on the “General” tab situated in the upper side of the “Properties” window.
  9. On the right from the “Startup type”, you will need to left click on the drop-down menu and select “Automatic” feature.
  10. Left click or tap on the “Start” button in this window.
  11. Left click or tap on the “Apply” button.
  12. Left click or tap on the “OK” button.
  13. Close all the windows you opened so far and reboot your device.
  14. Check to see if you have your wireless up and running again.

Run SFC command

1. Press and hold the “Windows” button and the “X” button.
  2. Left click or tap on the “Command Prompt (admin)” icon from the menu.
  3. In the command prompt window, you will need to write the following: “sfc /scannow” without the quotes.
  4. Press the “Enter” button on the keyboard.
  5. Let the system file checker finish the process.
  6. After it finished close the “Command Prompt” window.
  7. Reboot your device.
  8. Check to see if you still have this issue.

Keep me posted, as I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, only in case you don't get back to us, first! 

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us, and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi try device manager wifi card update driver..worth a try  

All the best jez

HP Recommended

I will give these things a try and let you know. Just to be clear, I can connect to wifi. The issue occurs when the computer wakes from sleep. What happens is that the computer shows that I am connected but that there is no internet service through that connection. I can resolve it already. I either connect to a different wifi network or disconnect and reconnect, that solves the problem.

What I want is for it to stop dropping the internet service during sleep.

I'll let you know how that goes.

HP Recommended

Yeah I tried that already, it said the driver was the latest. I appreciate the reply.

HP Recommended

@Moose444 The steps I had suggested is to ensure the WiFi doesn't disconnect after sleep, please attempt the step and get back to me with the results,

Good luck and I hope you have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I followed the first section and rebooted. In the second section, automatic was already selected. In the third section the result was "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." I'll give it a few days to see if this resolves the issue and I'll let you know.

Chris

HP Recommended

@Moose444

Keep me posted.

Have a great day!

Cheers 🙂

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

I think the issue of dropping wifi after sleep is resolved.

I am having an issue where the PC will drop the internet connection while I'm using it. It seems to happen a few times a day. The symptom is similar, the PC will still be connected to the network but there will not be any internet connection through the network. This is the only device I use that is doing this so I don't think it is a network problem. I can solve it the same as before by disconnecting and reconnecting or connecting to another network.

Chris

HP Recommended

@Moose44 What about the SFC scan, did you complete that as well? If yes, and yet the issue persists, I suggest you perform the below steps:

To isolate the issue further:

1. Try turning off or temporarily disconnecting any other devices that are using the same Internet connection.
  2. Close all other applications on your computer, and then test the connection speed again.
  3. Check if the problem occurs within a specific application. If it is program specific, here is a list of items that could help isolate this issue further.
    • Check the developer’s website for updates or fixes.

• Try uninstalling and reinstalling the application.

• Try using another similar application.

If the wireless connection still disconnects after sleep, test the network performance with a different device. If the same behavior is exhibited, please contact your Internet service provider (ISP) as this may be an issue with your internet connection or associated hardware.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.