Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 15-cc665cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Would really appreciate any help or advice!     Thanks in advance for reading...   

Completely stumped by WiFi problems on friend's HP Pavilion 15" laptop.  It's 4 years old, but has good specs w/ i7-8550U, 12GB Ram and an SSD.    But her Wifi has become slow and unreliable, often running under 17 Mbps despite 200+ internet service.   

The Intel wifi card (either AC 3165 or AC 3168) is theoretically capable of 433 Mbps.   My laptop (and one other) can sign in -- from the same exact spot -- and get over 150 Mbps while she's getting about 17.    

I installed latest Intel driver, checked settings, turned off power saving, removed added antivirus software, tested turning off firewall, etc. -- all with minimal improvement.

Best speed afterward was 19 - 21, but she's still having repeated Zoom call freezes and dropouts.   BTW, standing right next to the router only improves that speed a small amount 

I figured the Intel card or antenna must be failing, so I just tried a TP-LINK USB WiFi adapter with an external antenna. (TP-LInk Archer T3U Plus, also theoretically up to 433 Mbps) using latest TP-Link driver, but It was only a tad better, 23-25 Mbps.  (intel card disabled of course.) 

So... any ideas?  Where is the WiFi bottle neck on this laptop???   Any suggestions about how to further troubleshoot?   What is preventing this machine from getting reliable and faster WiFi speeds? 

Thanks again for your help!

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

HI@mschubb, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Intel® 802.11b/g/n/ac (1x1) Wi-Fi® an wifi adapter is a single band (2.4 GHz) only wifi card.

The wifi speed your notebook is getting is exceptional for that card, as its maximum throughput is supposed to be limited to 72 MBPS.to 150 MBPS

Please find the HP Pavilion - 15-cc665cl Product Specifications https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c05820507

Hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.  I appreciate your help but I think you misread my post.   

The HP laptop wifi card drops out frequently and gets 17-21 Mbps at best.   My Thinkpad gets over 150 Mbps -- which was included that to show that internet service at the location is not the problem.

Why do both the internal WiFi card and a new external USB Wifi adapter have such low speeds on this HP laptop?    In WifI status,  both will show a connection-to-router speed well over 100Mbps, but Speed Tests are usually under 20 Mbps.  

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

I'm having the same exact problem mate. Can't seem to get more than 20-30 mbps of internet speed while connected to internet via wifi. Other devices connected to the same wifi network are getting 160+ mbps.

I tried each and every possible solution out there. Read dozens and dozens of online threads, but all in vain. Someone suggested downgrading from windows 10 to 8.1. Which operating system is your friend using?

HP Recommended

Let me know if you find a work around or a solution to this problem. It's quiet irritating and has been driving me crazy.

HP Recommended

Glad you posted that you are having the same problem.   Have spent hours troubleshooting with no results and it's making me crazy as well.

I really expected more from HP support... very disappointing.   It's been a week since I posted this problem and still no helpful response.

HP Recommended

Yeah mate, my experience on this website has been very disappointing as well, to say th least.

I'll try downgrading to windows 8.1 today, and I'll let you know if it helps.

HP Recommended

@mschubb,

Update the BIOS (notebook PCs): Follow the steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629.

Disable power management state for wireless adapter in Device Manager

Most wireless devices can be turned off by the system to save power. In some sleep scenarios, the device might not wake properly when the system returns from sleep or hibernate. To prevent this from happening, adjust the power management settings for the wireless adapter.

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
  2. Double-click Network Adapters to expand the list, right-click the wireless (Wi-Fi) adapter in the list, and then select Properties.
  3. In the Adapter Properties window, click the Power Management tab.
  4. Remove the check next to Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power, and then click OK.
  5. Close Device Manager, restart the notebook computer, and then attempt to reconnect to the wireless network.

Confirm only one antivirus/firewall software is running

Performance can be negatively affected when multiple antivirus programs are installed on your computer. Uninstall all but one antivirus program.

For Windows 10 and 8

To remove programs and software components from your computer hard disk drive, follow these steps:

1. In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  2. In the Uninstall or change a program window, select the program you want to remove from the list and click Uninstall or Uninstall/Change at the top of the program list.
  3. Read and respond to any messages that may open while the software is being removed from your computer.
  4. Test to see if the wireless issue continues. If there is still a problem continue to the next step.

Temporarily disable Bluetooth

Try temporarily disabling Bluetooth to see if this impacts the network performance.

After disabling Bluetooth, try to see if the wireless issue continues. If there is still a problem continue to the next step.

NOTE: If no Bluetooth device or options are present, your PC may not have been equipped with this feature.

Windows 10

1. Right-click Start and select Settings.
  2. Click Devices and select Bluetooth.
  3. Slide the Bluetooth settings to Off.

Use the Network and Internet Troubleshooter (Windows 10)

The Network and Internet Troubleshooter tests the network for problems and attempts automatic repairs for any issues found.

1. Right-click the wireless connection icon in the notification area, then select Troubleshoot problems. The Windows Network Diagnostic window opens and the troubleshooting process begins.

Figure: Taskbar and wireless network icon

NOTE: This is an image of a connected network, your icon may look different depending upon the status.

1. After automated troubleshooting has completed, read the information on the screen.
  • This describes problems found, fixed, or actions necessary to resolve the connectivity problems.
  • When complete, follow any recommended actions and try connecting again.
  • If the problem persists or there were no issues found by the troubleshooter, close the results screen and continue to the next step.

IconWindows 10 Network Status Icon Description 

If there is a red x over the network status icon, this means that there are no wireless networks currently available. 

If there is a star on the network icon, this means you are not connected to any network 

Connected - No Internet access. This icon with an exclamation mark means you are connected to the network but no Internet access. You should check the router or modem to see any Internet connection problem. 

A successful connection will look like this. Note, this doesn’t take the different signal strengths into account.

Restart the PC

1. Restart the computer with the wireless issue.
  2. After the computer has restarted, try connecting to the Internet again.

Check the Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection

Check if other devices can connect to the same wireless network and if they have the same wireless issue:

• If other devices on the same network do not experience the same connection issues as the local computer, then the issue is related to the PC having the connection issue.
  • Verify the password being used to connect to the existing wireless network is correct. Your Internet service provider will be able to walk you through this process.
  • If other devices can connect to the wireless network but can’t access the Internet, the problem is likely related to the connection between your router/modem and the Internet service provider. Reset the router/modem (if not done yet) and contact your Service Provider if the issue persists.
  • If other devices can’t connect to the wireless network, the problem is likely related to your wireless router or it’s configuration. Reset the router (if not done yet) and make sure you use the correct password when you try to connect. If the issue persists, contact your internet service provider
HP Recommended

Thanks, but I have tried all those things -- before I made my first post to this forum.  I even said that I had already done those things in my first post.   

Is there any possibility of getting more specific tech support?   Perhaps from a higher tier or a supervisor? 

While I appreciate your personal efforts, I am deeply disappointed in HP as a company and the slow responses and lack of deeper expertise being offered here.   

The friend I am trying to help with this WiFi problem is now using a borrowed laptop for her online work.  She's an actress and it will make a great social media post when she throws this HP laptop in the trash can -- because HP support couldn't provide help to figure out why it can no longer hold an internet connection.     

Thanks. 

HP Recommended

I was contacted by private message from the support representative MORE THAN TWO WEEKS AGO, saying another tier of support would get in touch.  Despite responding in detail and sending several messages asking for an update, NO ONE ELSE HAS EVER RESPONDED to address this issue.   

Posting publicly just for the record...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.