Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv7-6b55dx Entertainment Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i need a WiFi driver for the Intel Centrino Wireless-N WiMax 6150 hardware in the notebook.  Running Win 10 Enterprise 64 bit.  Only Win 7 and 8 drivers on the HP website available.  I know there's one out there though because the WiFi worked with Win 10 Home 64 bit.  Just can't find it.  Please help

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

Connect to the internet with an ethernet cable and download the driver from the Microsoft update catalog...

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=6150%20

You should be able to do the automatic update by clicking on the  Intel Centrino Wireless-N WiMax 6150 adapter in the device manager (labeled as a Network Controller if no driver is installed).

Click on the driver tab, click on Update driver.

Select the Search automatically for drivers option and see if the driver installs that way.

If not, I will give you another way to install the cabinet file from the link above.

HP Recommended

thanks much.  that didn't work going thru Device manager.  Can you please give me another way to install the .cab file?  I appreciate your time. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

See if this works...

First download and install this free file utility.

The 2nd file at the top of the page is for 64 bit.

https://www.7-zip.org/

Download and save the 3rd file on the top of that Microsoft Update catalog I posted...the 2.6 MB file.

Right click on the file you downloaded and select 7-Zip from the list of options on the menu.

Have 7-Zip Extract to:  and let it extract the file into its long file folder name.

Once that is done, go to the device manager.

Click on the Intel wifi card needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab.

Click on Update driver.

Select the Browse my computer for drivers option and browse to the file folder that 7-zip created.

Make sure the Include subfolders box is checked and see if the driver installs that way.

If not, try the next file down in the catalog site (99.6 MB file) and do the same thing.

HP Recommended

OMGosh neither of those worked.  I used 7-Zip to extract both the 2.6 Mb and 99.6 Mb file to a folder and pointed to them thru the update driver option in DM and Windows just won't load the driver.  Sheesh.  I do network admin and desktop support.  i hate drivers man

HP Recommended

Sorry that neither option worked.

Intel no longer supports any WiFi card older than the 7260, so I don't know what else you can try

The card may not work anymore on the new version of W10

You may have to purchase a USB WiFi adapter to connect wirelessly.

HP Recommended

i already bought a USB one.  the thing killing me was it was working on Win 10 Home 64.  I forgot to copy out the driver and driver store folders from the old Win 10 install.  I bet if I'd done that I could've gotten it to work.  Does not pay to be in too much of a hurry.  Thanks for your help though

HP Recommended

You'revery welcome.

Sorry I wasn't able to help you get the Intel card to work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.