Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream Notebook - 11-d077nr
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I got this laptop about a year and a half ago, and things were working fine with no problems until a couple weeks ago.

The internet connection suddenly went out, and the troubleshooter diagnosed it was a network adapter-related problem.

The network adapter being used on my laptop is the Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11b/g/n. 

I uninstalled the driver for the adapter, downloaded a newer, more updated driver from a separate computer, then reinstalled it onto the affected laptop.

This worked for about an hour, until the wifi went out again, and the network adapter disappeared from the Device Manager. 

Reseting the computer would bring back the wifi for periods of time between 5 minutes to 5 hours, but it would never last. 

Finally, I reset my computer back to factory settings. After doing this, the network adapter was present in the Device Manager, and the wifi worked fine for a couple days, before reverting back to its nonfunctional state. 

Does this sound like a hardware problem? Is it possible to get my wifi card replaced by hp? Or can this issue be solved by fiddling with the software?

Thanks so much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Try to disable windows driver updates.

windows button+X

System

Advanced system settings (this is on the top left side of the page)

Hardware tab (system properties window)

Device installations settings

Select no

After doing this, re-install the correct driver and update the BIOS of the PC.

I'm an HP Employee.The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.
Click on Thumbs up if my post helped you.Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking an answerAccept as Solutionif it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Try to disable windows driver updates.

windows button+X

System

Advanced system settings (this is on the top left side of the page)

Hardware tab (system properties window)

Device installations settings

Select no

After doing this, re-install the correct driver and update the BIOS of the PC.

I'm an HP Employee.The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.
Click on Thumbs up if my post helped you.Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking an answerAccept as Solutionif it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

You may come to Hp.com to check your wifi driver is the same version as your factory setting.

If the same, I think the problem is from other device issue. I do not think this condition is a hardware issue. This is because your wifi connection is workable when the connection is fine.

Maybe keep the factory seeting is a good choice.

HP Recommended

This worked! I'll post again if the same problem reoccurs.

Thanks so much!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.