Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 17 Laptop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is a brand new laptop.  Everything works fine except the WiFi connection drops off/on multiple times while in use.  Just in case is was a signal loss, I added a WiFi extender, which has a direct "view" of the router and to my laptop.  I've been using another HP laptop at the same place on my desk for years without problems; goes for my phone too...everything is rock solid except when it comes to this new machine.  Any ideas what I can check?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The WiFi extender solved my problem for this machine.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Do you have all the latest updates for the machine? do you know if your  service provider is having issues? Is your internet service /wifi up to date? 

Thomas Lohse
Long time HP user owner and supporter
HP Recommended

Yes, everything is up to date.  Everything else in the house is working fine - it's just this laptop.

HP Recommended

The WiFi extender solved my problem for this machine.

HP Recommended

This might help others. I have an Asus laptop and had to replace the battery. The battery is inside the laptop so I had to take it apart. Well, in the process, a small wire with a connector had become unattached. I put it back on to where I thought it should go. Now the WIFI only connected when the laptop was within a few feet of the router. I read all the comments about downloading the latest driver and stuff like that. Well, nothing helped. I decided to take the laptop apart again and it turned out the wire I had reattached was going to the network adapter and there were two little connectors on that adapter (they are so small that it was hard to see them both). I disconnected the wire and put it on the other connector on the network adapter and my WIFI  now worked everywhere in the house. From this I would say if you are losing your WIFI connection it might possibly have something to do with your network adapter or the connection to the antenna (which is what the wire connected the network adapter to). On a new computer, it is possible, from the factory, the assembler put the antenna connection on the wrong connection. On an older computer, it might be that the connector came loose or the wire got broken (because the wire is routed through the hinges and is subject to wear). Hope this helps someone. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.