Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15-r219na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have updated the BIOS to the latest version after installing a fresh copy of Windows 10 and the wifi adaptor cannot be enabled. When pressed, the wifi enabling button turns from amber to white, but the wifi adaptor still does not work. I have checked in device manager and everything is OK. I have used Windows troubleshooting and HP troubleshooting and the results is the same: I am told to press the wifi button as it  detects that the wifi is disabled - all this while the button is already pressed showing that the wifi is enabled (white colour instead of amber). Is there any way to revert to the previous version of BIOS? Are there any other solutions I could try?

The wifi worked fine before I updated BIOS.

Thank you very much for your support!

Marius

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi

Initially try the troubleshooting, then the button driver and then the .BAT

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-15-r200-notebook-pc-series/7486447/model/7698732

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-15-r200-notebook-pc-series/7486447/model/7698732

HP Wireless Button Driver

1.1.5.1 Rev.A4.7 MBJul 15, 2015Download

Copy, Paste and Save in Notepad, as LBB.bat (not a .TXT) and double click to run.
Preferably run as an Administrator.
OR

Copy and use the individual command lines as needed.

Post anything non-personal, but relevant please.

@Echo OFF
getmac
netsh lan show interfaces
netsh wlan show interfaces
netsh wlan show drivers

PAUSE
msinfo32
pause
PowerShell -Command "Get-NetAdapter"
PowerShell -Command "Get-NetAdapter -Name * | Format-Table -View Driver"
PowerShell -Command "GIP -Detailed"
PowerShell -Command "Test-NetConnection"
PAUSE

HP Recommended

Hi,

The problem persists. I have run the LBB.bat file as an administrator and the only difference is that now the wifi button remains amber and no longer turns white (active). When I press the button, it indicates Airplane Mode on or off.

Are there other ways to fix this?

Thank you very much for your support!

Regards,

Marius

HP Recommended

This is the screenshot I am getting.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Hi

Not really.

But the results (actually copy and paste is my preference)  drop into notepad and edit out the personal bits.

Name InterfaceDescription ifIndex Status MacAddress LinkSpeed
---- -------------------- ------- ------ ---------- ---------
WiFi Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi A... 23 Up XXXXXXXX-27               72.2 Mbps
Ethernet Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller 9 Disconnected XXXXXXXXX-28            0 bps

Name InterfaceDescription DriverFileName DriverDate DriverVersion NdisVersion
---- -------------------- -------------- ---------- ------------- -----------
WiFi Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Ad... rtwlane02.sys 2019-03-22 2024.0.4.108 6.70
Ethernet Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller rt640x64.sys 2015-05-05 10.1.505.2015 6.40

I will try to read thru the listings and answer again.

I realise we are posting simultaneously and I may seem to be stating something stupid, that you have already said.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for your quick response. I will edit out the personal details.

Regards,

Marius

HP Recommended

We both have the same driver installed.

Both cards are there.

Now I get egg on my face...

C:\>getmac

Physical Address Transport Name
=================== ==========================================================
27 Media disconnected       Me WiFi
28 \Device\Tcpip_{65}

C:\>getmac

Physical Address Transport Name
=================== ==========================================================
27 \Device\Tcpip_{F9}
28 Media disconnected

Plug in Ethernet no WiFi, pull out ethernet WiFi.

Active BlueTooth can take precedence over WiFi on some basic cards.

HP Recommended

Network PolyGlot.png

ping 127.0.0.1 should loopback on the WiFi adapter, if/when it's the only device in use.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your message! 

Maybe you are misunderstanding what I want to say. You have below several screenshots which show that no matter what I do the WIFI does not work. Below is the airplane with no WIFI:

Airplane Mode.png

Below is the "enabled" WIFI, after I press on the wifi button (although it remains amber):

WIFI ON.png

If I click on the WIFI option, it greys out:

WIFI 2.png

If I try to enable it in some other way, it still does not work: 

Print Screen.png

Everything is enabled in device manager:

Device Manager.PNG

HP Recommended

Everything is enabled and, according to the device manager, works OK.

I have also included a video which shows that, while connected to the Ethernet, when I press the button it will switch between the ethernet and airplane mode ( WIFI will not enable). 

I could not upload the video on the website directly as there is an error on it (the dialog box is overlapping with another text). The link to view the video is: https://we.tl/t-60MsVr1wwU

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.