Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi adapter not working. Ethernet works.

HP Pavilion 15-e081ea Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

Not found much on this elsewhere. Wifi just stopped working some time ago. I since installed Windows 10 hoping that would help but it hasn't.

I don't see a wifi adapter in the network section of device manager. Ethernet works like normal, but no wireless networks show up when you click the network icon in task bar.

I have scanned for new drivers on all of the visible network adapters. also used Driver Booster which also updated 1 driver but nothing helped the wifi yet. 

Please let me know if I can provide any further info, thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
117,389 107,570 17,041 26,093
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

More than likely the wifi adapter is no good since it wasn't working before you installed W10.

What I suggest you try first before replacing the wifi card would be to remove and firmly reseat the card.

Sometimes the contacts get oxidized and the electrical connection is lost.

Leave the antenna cables connected to the card if you can, to facilitate an easier reinstallation.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the wifi card removal and replacement procedure.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03939658

If your notebook has a Ralink RT3290 wifi card, it is a very common issue for that card to completely disappear from the device manager on W10, but it shouldn't have on an older OS.

If you are interested in replacing the card, you can upgrade to this model...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

The card is readily available on Amazon or eBay.

Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply Paul, this was really useful information.

Using your advice and the service manual I took out and reinserted the wifi card. Sadly did not fix but definitely a great idea worth trying. I will either order a new one to test or use a wifi dongle as a fix. It was indeed a Ralink RT3290.

Thanks again,

LP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
117,389 107,570 17,041 26,093
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation