Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I just got my new HP ENVY laptop. Product Name: m6-k025dx. It runs on Windows 8 64-bit. I am experiencing sudden, frequent loss of my Wifi connection. When it gets disconnected I don't even get the Connect To slider (which slides from the right side of the screen and shows the list of networks) on clicking the network button at bottom right corner of the screen. I need to restart my laptop to get connected again and after 5-7 minutes, I lose it again.

I have tried many suggestions about editing the Power Plan to maximum performance and unchecking "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" but nothing seems to work.

The network driver is Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230. I have also updated the driver and turned off Bluetooth and ethernet as part of the suggestions found on the web.

I don't know if this is a problem of Windows 8/ Intel/ HP. Please help.

Nadeem

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
From my own research, if you have an intel centrino N - 2230 network adaptor and use windows 8 64 bit, you need a new driver. That adaptor has wifi connectivity issues that are known to intel. Check here : http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-025332.htm and then contact an HP tech via chat and they will download and install the correct new driver from intel's website. I tried doing it myself and it did not work. The tech did it for me via online chat and remote assistance. Do to let them tell you it's a hardware issue. It's a network adaptor issue that requires an updated driver. Let me know if it works for you.

View solution in original post

49 REPLIES 49
HP Recommended

Hello nadeem49.

Welcome to the HP Forums.

I understand the computer's wireless connection will drop occasionally. I will do everything in my power to assist you with this.

First, I would like you to try some of the troubleshooting in this HP document: Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet (Windows 😎

In this document, please go to the section "Before you begin: use Windows 8 diagnostic and troubleshooting tools". This section contains Windows troubleshooters that could resolve the issue without doing any troubleshooting. If not, it might provide an explanation as to what is wrong.

These diagnostics should at least be able to put you in the right direction. If the issue remains, please review this document next: Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet Connection (Windows 7)

I know you have Windows 8, but the troubleshooting I would like you to try will work on Windows 8. In this document, please try the steps in the "Slow or dropped wireless connection". This is close to the issue you are experiencing, so I figured it is appropriate.

I believe following this troubleshooting will resolve the issue. Either way, please post your results. Thank you for choosing the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

What solution did you find for your intermitten wifi issues?

HP Recommended

Hello davisesq212,

Thank you for posting on the HP Forums!

What wireless issue are you experiencing? If you let me know, I can provide a resolution. Did you also try the previous troubleshooting I provided in the previous post? If so, please provide your results. Finally, can you provide this information:

1. The computer's model number. If you require assistance locating this information, please reference this website: Locating the Model Number of the Computer

2. The computer's operating system. If you require assistance locating this information, please reference this website to determine your Windows operating system.

3. Have you installed any new hardware on this computer, before the issue appeared?

4. Have you installed any new software or drivers on this computer, before the issue appeared?

Please respond as soon as possible. Thanks again for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

My question simply was whether the OP found a solution.

I had the same issue on my M6-K025DX, intermittent wifi issues, but contacted HP support and the tech initially told me it was a hardware issue with only my laptop.  I persisted after reading the support forums last night before contacting HP. 

Eventually, he downloaded a Intel driver for my laptop (which I had done previously but probably loaded incorrectly) because I have a Intel Centrino N 2230 Network Adaptor with Windows 8, 64 bit, which Intel admited last year was having 'issues'.  The driver is supposed to correct the problem and it seems, as of last night, to have corrected the problem.

I was slightly disappointed that the HP tech was so quick to assume it was a hardware issue and ask for my mailing issue to have my laptop sent in. I also was disappointed that HP had not updated the systems of laptops to correct this issue before a consumer buys the new merchandise. Alternatively, updates should be automatically downloaded when I first connected my laptop to the internet so this driver could have been installed. 

The tech was convinced it was not model related and mentioned this numerous times.  Had I not persisted, I would have been without a laptop for a week when the issue could have been solved , as it was, in under an hour at home.

I am just curious how others with this issue resolved the wifi problems.  It clearly seems to be a problem on Intel's part with the specific adaptor and Windows 8, 64 bit.

HP Recommended
Dear SuperMario1
I have tried the troubleshooting tools recommended by you. They could not detect any problems with my connection (this may be because I get connected for a limited time). I recently found that I do not lose connectivity if the charger is plugged in. I have no idea why this is happening as I have set the power options to Maximum Performance even while using battery. Another problem that I'm facing is that I'm unable to get the full speed of my Internet connection (I've subscribed for 15 Mbps but I get only 1-2 Mbps). I'm pretty sure that its the problem of my Intel network adapter, but I don't know how to fix it.
Please guide me.
HP Recommended
Dear davisesq212
Please check my reply for SuperMario1 and let me know how you fixed the problem with your PC. Please provide detailed information regarding the changes that you made.
HP Recommended
From my own research, if you have an intel centrino N - 2230 network adaptor and use windows 8 64 bit, you need a new driver. That adaptor has wifi connectivity issues that are known to intel. Check here : http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-025332.htm and then contact an HP tech via chat and they will download and install the correct new driver from intel's website. I tried doing it myself and it did not work. The tech did it for me via online chat and remote assistance. Do to let them tell you it's a hardware issue. It's a network adaptor issue that requires an updated driver. Let me know if it works for you.
HP Recommended
Dear davisesq212
Thank you for providing the solution that worked for me. I got in touch with HP tech via chat and they solved the problem. Again, it was the drivers that needed to be updated.
Wifi is working fine and lets hope there won't be any problem in future. If I need to know anything else about this network adapter or notebook, please inform me about it (as we have the same device).
HP Recommended

nadeem: Glad it worked for you as I had such a hard time. I reserached so much to find the answer and luckily I did as the HP tech really wanted to have me send in the laptop and not diagnosis it fully (he gave up). I did need his help though to install it though as when I did, it did not work.  Glad I could help. We all need to stick together on this so we have working machines! Thanks for coming back also and telling me. It sort of made my day!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.