Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion dv6000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I know that there is no current driver for the Wireless Card (Intel Wireless WiFi link 4965AGN) in this laptop.  IS there a replacement card I can get which has current drivers so I can just swap out the existing card?  I'd rather not replace a perfectly good laptop because of the driver.  I'd much rather replace the card.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, there isn't.

What are the issues you are facing with the card not working on W10?

I have the same card in my HP 6910p and it works fine on W10.

I used the latest 4965 W7 driver directly from Intel, and enabled WMM in the advanced settings.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Right now I'm running 8.1 having just upgraded from Vista.  I don't use this laptop often but when I need it I really need it.  I planned to upgrade to Windows 10 not realizing I just missed the free offer.   The problem is intermittant connectivety issues. Often it would disconnect and windows troubleshooting would  reset the card, though this doesn't always work.  Rebooting helps but is only temporary and a hugh inconvenience. 

Under "Properties" it says the driver provider is Microsoft dated 2010.  I guess I should try the Intel driver.  I was hesitant as it says it for Vista and XP.  What do you mean by "enabled WWM in the advanced settings.'?

Thanks so much!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Here is a link that shows the typical settings for an Intel wlan card.  Review that, and you will see where the WMM setting is. (AdHoc QOS Mode).

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005585.html

I also set the roaming aggessiveness to lowest.

Now, if you or someone in your family uses assistive technologies, you can still get the free upgrade.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Also, here is the link to the last W7 driver Intel released for that card.  The 2nd driver on the list is the 64 bit auto install.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22116/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windo...

Hopefully, the driver update and advanced tweaks will make the card work better for you.

I had the same issues you did and the above things resolved the dropped connections.

Some folks also uncheck the box in the power options to allow windows to turn the device off to save power.

HP Recommended

Done, done and done!

Hopefully this will resolve the issue.  So far so good!.  I'll be testing it for the next 8 days as I am out of town and will be using my laptop extensively.

Thank you so much for your expert help and patience.  Ill report back here in a week so others can see the outcome.

Best regards.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

HP Recommended

oops. It didn't take long.  I just lost connectivity again. This time, troubleshooting says, "Windows could not detect this network's proxy settings".   :Crying:

HP Recommended

oops. It didn't take long.  I just lost connectivity again. This time, troubleshooting says, "Windows could not detect this network's proxy settings".  

HP Recommended

That's a shame.

I have also heard that some folks changed the wireless mode setting (in the advanced settings tab) from the default to 802.11g only.

The downside to this is that you won't be able to connect to the 5.0 GHz wireless N band and will only have a max connection speed of 54 MBPS.

HP Recommended

I think the answer might be a USB wireless dongle.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.