Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 – 15m-bp112dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since September 2020, my HP Envy notebook loses its ability to connect to the internet through wifi whenever the latest version of Windows 10 updates--which means that each time Windows updates, I have to revert to the previous build of the operating system. I've gone through all the trouble-shooting steps suggested by Windows, and I've installed the latest BIOS file and WLAN driver from HP, but nothing so far has solved this problem. My questions:

1. Has anyone else experienced this problem, or am I the only HP user whose wifi capacity is knocked out by Windows updates?
  2. Is there anything else I can do to correct this problem, so my HP laptop can benefit from the latest Windows updates?
  3. If a solution doesn't exist, what's the easiest way to prevent Windows from installing updates on my laptop?

Many thanks!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

Have you tried the latest driver for the Intel 7265 wifi adapter directly from Intel?

I have 3 PC's with the same model card, all running W10 20H2 and the wifi works fine with the latest driver installed.

Download Windows® 10 Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Wireless Adapters

It should install driver version 19.51.33.1

Unfortunately, I do not believe there is a way to prevent the new W10 build from installing unless you have a very old version of W10 installed.

I have to keep version 1607 installed on one PC--an old HP 6910p, and I can use the hide windows updates utility to prevent it from updating.

You can see if this article is of any help to you.

How to block the Windows 10 October 2020 Update, version 20H2, from installing | Computerworld

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.