Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 14
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

So my HP Notebook has no Ethernet port. So I bought a USB adapter for when I'm writing my exams as my internet keeps getting dropped in the midst of my exam and I would like to avoid this. However I have searched high and low and I cannot find any trace of a wired connection being an available option for this computer. I have called my internet provider and they don't have any insight either. They said that a wired connection should just automatically work when connected to the laptop.

I have tried searching up my drivers. I have installed some drivers. I am at a loss for what else to do and I write another exam tomorrow night. If anyone can help me it would be greatly, greatly appreciated. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@ShadyLady83 

Hello,

What is the exact model of your laptop (e.g. 5ES85EA)?
To find this product number P/N: this document.

What type of adapter did you choose?

I could have recommended you an HP USB-C Mini Dock (1PM64AA): http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4AA7-0826ENW.

In case of need, do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,:Wink:

I'm not an HP employee. Did this message answer your question? Include it below as an Accept As Solution! Did you find this message useful?  Click on the thumbs up set to give a Compliment! Follow us on Facebook Assistance customers HP.

HP Recommended

HP Notebook - 14-dq0007ca

Product number   7PK89UA#ABL
Serial number  [Personal Information Removed]

The cable I have is a Cable Matters USB 2.0 to RJ45 Fast Ethernet Adapter. I live in a rural area so my access to available resources is limited. 
HP Recommended

@ShadyLady83 

Thanks for your return,

Okay!
In this case, try to install the following driver for your adapter.

https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/network-interface-controllers-10-100m-fast-etherne...

Do not hesitate to contact us in case of need.

Best regards,:Wink:

I'm not an HP employee. Did this message answer your question? Include it below as an Accept As Solution! Did you find this message useful?  Click on the thumbs up set to give a Compliment! Follow us on Facebook Assistance customers HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.