Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17-e175nr
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have a HP Pavilion 17-e175nr and the Ralink RT3290 wireless card keeps disconnecting regardless of what I do. (I figure it's time for a new card) After checking the PDF, I noticed that there were no cards that would work on a AMD processor that has 5ghz as an option. I know that HP used to have a whitelist but then took it off to make other cards work now. Is there a way to check if this laptop can handle a 5ghz Atheros pci-e card? Anyone use an aftermarket card without any issues? I have the latest bios as well.ty

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook doesn't have a whitelist, and there is a nice Broadcom AC wifi adapter with bluetooth that should work in your model...

Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo

724935-001

The card is readily available on Amazon or eBay.

Do your search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi adapter.

If you want a dual band wireless N card, then this one would be my recommendation...

Broadcom BCM943228HMB 802.11abgn 2×2 Wi-Fi Adapter, Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter   HP Part # 730668-001

Open up your notebook and verify that there are two antennas connected to the Ralink wifi card before ordering a new one.  Dual band wifi adapters must have to antennas connected in order to work right.

Also, before installing the new wifi adapter, uninstall the Ralink wifi adapter and driver in the device manager, as well as the Ralink bluetooth adapter and driver.

If there is Ralink bluetooth software listed in the Windows control panel>programs, uninstall that too.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook doesn't have a whitelist, and there is a nice Broadcom AC wifi adapter with bluetooth that should work in your model...

Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo

724935-001

The card is readily available on Amazon or eBay.

Do your search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi adapter.

If you want a dual band wireless N card, then this one would be my recommendation...

Broadcom BCM943228HMB 802.11abgn 2×2 Wi-Fi Adapter, Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter   HP Part # 730668-001

Open up your notebook and verify that there are two antennas connected to the Ralink wifi card before ordering a new one.  Dual band wifi adapters must have to antennas connected in order to work right.

Also, before installing the new wifi adapter, uninstall the Ralink wifi adapter and driver in the device manager, as well as the Ralink bluetooth adapter and driver.

If there is Ralink bluetooth software listed in the Windows control panel>programs, uninstall that too.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for all the help. It's good to know it doesn't have that whitelist and, I will definitely take a look at the card before I get the new one. Appreciate it!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Please post back and let us know how your wireless card upgrade went.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.