Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Probook 4720S
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi

I have been running windows update on a machine that now will not connect to a wireless network.

The error in HP wireless assistant says it has been turned off in Device Manager. However when I go to Device Manager, none of the network items seem to have a problem. However I dont see a wireless option and there is also no wireless card in the Network Sharing Center to turn on (only LAN & Bluetooth)

I have made the recommended changes to BIOS, adjusted the power settings, taken out the battery, tried using Windows Mobility Center. Still the light on the button remains orange. I have also run HP support assistant and that only says no Ethernet Netowrk could be identified, nothing about wireless.

Network Cards Visible in Device Manager:

- Bluetooth Device

- Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Hidden (multiple);

- WAN Miniport

- Microsoft ISATAP

- Teredo Tunneling

I have updated all the drivers. However I have been struggling to update to SP1.

Where has my wireless card gone?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Check to make sure you didn't inadvertently turn off the wifi adapter with the on/off button.

Is there a device listed under an other devices category in the device manager labeled as a Network Controller?

If so, that is the wireless card that needs the driver installed.

If not, then check the BIOS to ensure the wireless card is present and enabled.

If no such setting, or the BIOS reports that no wireless hardware is present, then it is a hardware issue.

The first thing to try would be to disconnect the ac power, remove the battery and remove and reseat the wireless network adapter.

Try to keep the antennas attached when doing that.

If that fails to get the wireless card to show up, then most likely it has died on you, and needs to be replaced.

Here is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

If you need to replace the wifi adapter, you can only buy one of the ones listed in the service manual, and the wifi adapter must have the HP part number on it, or it will not work.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02046514

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Check to make sure you didn't inadvertently turn off the wifi adapter with the on/off button.

Is there a device listed under an other devices category in the device manager labeled as a Network Controller?

If so, that is the wireless card that needs the driver installed.

If not, then check the BIOS to ensure the wireless card is present and enabled.

If no such setting, or the BIOS reports that no wireless hardware is present, then it is a hardware issue.

The first thing to try would be to disconnect the ac power, remove the battery and remove and reseat the wireless network adapter.

Try to keep the antennas attached when doing that.

If that fails to get the wireless card to show up, then most likely it has died on you, and needs to be replaced.

Here is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

If you need to replace the wifi adapter, you can only buy one of the ones listed in the service manual, and the wifi adapter must have the HP part number on it, or it will not work.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02046514

HP Recommended

Thanks, the card wasnt present in the BIOS, but reseating the card kicked it back in gear.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.