Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
G7 2340dx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I upgraded to 5G dual band  wi fi card a while back - it quit working after a year or so, ordered another card and installed, still not recognized as 5G , only 2.4G- could it be the OS upgrade from Win 7 to 8.1 that caused it to stop working ? and if so what can be done to remedy? The replacement card worked great for well over a year.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @Chasz 

I'm pretty sure the g6 and g7 2200 and 2300 model series do not have a BIOS whitelist, as I have seen a few posts on this forum, where folks have installed wifi cards other than those listed in the service manual.

What model wifi card did you upgrade to?

Since your notebook has an AMD processor, an Intel wifi card will not work properly, if at all.

You would need either the Broadcom AC card or the Broadcom dual band N card...

Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo   HP part # 724935-001

Broadcom BCM943228HMB 802.11abgn 2×2 Wi-Fi Adapter, Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter  HP part # 730668-001

You should be able to find either card on eBay.

Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi adapter.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Chasz 

Firstly its specs

https://support.hp.com/my-en/document/c03609327/

with  1x1 802.11b/g/n WLAN  card it won't "see" 5.0GHz network, full stop.

Secondary, your machines was built around 2011 therefore the chance to  upgrade to new wifi card which can "see" 5.0GHz networks is NONE due to the whitelist in BIOS. Looks like you can only use cards on the following list

g7 wifi.png

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi, @Chasz 

I'm pretty sure the g6 and g7 2200 and 2300 model series do not have a BIOS whitelist, as I have seen a few posts on this forum, where folks have installed wifi cards other than those listed in the service manual.

What model wifi card did you upgrade to?

Since your notebook has an AMD processor, an Intel wifi card will not work properly, if at all.

You would need either the Broadcom AC card or the Broadcom dual band N card...

Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo   HP part # 724935-001

Broadcom BCM943228HMB 802.11abgn 2×2 Wi-Fi Adapter, Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter  HP part # 730668-001

You should be able to find either card on eBay.

Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi adapter.

HP Recommended

HP ProBook 6550b Wireless WiFi Card 582564-001-- This is the card I had originally upgraded to and it worked for well over a year allowing 2.4 and 5G  connectivity, I don't recall now but it was either after a windows update or the update from 8.1 to 10 that it stopped working,I assumed card was bad so ordered the same and only 2.4G was result again, just thought I'd try again and see if I could get 5G back.

HP Recommended

The only thing I can say is the BCM943224 is an outdated card and there really aren't any 'true' W10 drivers for it.

It should be working on both bands without having to do anything.

I would toss a few bucks at the problem and get the BCM943228HMB 802.11abgn 2×2 Wi-Fi Adapter, Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter HP part # 730668-001.

The card is much cheaper than the AC card and has W10 drivers.   The Bluetooth might even work too.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=730668-001&_sacat=0&_sop=15

HP Recommended

I was ordering new card when I received your reply, thanks for the help.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Please post back and let us know if the newer model card resolved the issue.

You can also check in the advanced settings tab for the card in the device manager that abg is enabled.

https://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?resources/broadcom-wlan-driver-settings.3/

HP Recommended

Installed new card and works great-- Bluetooth even works,thanks!!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance, and thanks for letting us know how the wifi card upgrade went.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.