cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
mrnike75
Level 2
27 20 0 2
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Wirrless adapter compatibility

HP Recommended
Hp Envy 17 r190
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I have an internet connection loss  issue with my 17r190 laptop. So i am considering swapping the intel 7265 wireless adapter which i guess i known to have such issues on W10.

I was thinking of going for the intel 8265 adapter.

I would appreciate if somone could confirm me the compatibility with my laptop. If not compatible, an advice for an alternate model (which works well with W10) woukd be greatly appreciated.

Tks

5 REPLIES 5
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
136,295 93,925 20,960 28,303
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

I cannot find any discussions regarding anyone upgrading that model series' wifi adapter.

If your notebook has a BIOS whitelist installing any wifi adapter not listed in the service manual won't work.

Most HP notebooks made after 2014 do not have BIOS whitelists, but there are a few exceptions, and I don't know if your notebook's model series is one of the exceptions.

HP does not release any info on which notebooks have whitelists, and which don't.

The only way we find out if a wifi card not listed in the service manual works is when someone tries one out and reports back.

In theory the Intel 8265 should work, but you must get a non-vPro version of any Intel card you install, or it won't work.

Since we don't know if the card will work or not, you may as well experiment with a newer model card...the Intel 9260 non-vPro.

Amazon.com: Intel Wireless-Ac 9260, 2230, 2X2 Ac+Bt, Gigabit, No Vpro: Computers & Accessories

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook, where you can find the list of supported wifi adapters and the wifi adapter removal and replacement procedure.

HP ENVY NotebookIntel Models 17-n100 17-n1993D camera Models 17-r100 17-r199 (worldwide)3D camera Mo...

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
mrnike75
Author
Level 2
27 20 0 2
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Paul, 

Thanks for your reply.

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Please let us know if you upgraded the wifi card and which model you selected and whether or not it worked.

mrnike75
Author
Level 2
27 20 0 2
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Intel Wireless AC 9260 is NOT supported !!! 😞 😞 😞 

Needless to say that i'm absolutely pissed and that HP lost a customer for a long time !

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That is unfortunate, but thanks for letting us know that the 9260AC didn't work.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation