Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hello, 

I am in search of a wireless card alternative to my  Realtek RTL8188EE (bgn) wireless card for an HP 15-r011dx, product number G9D66UA#ABA so to upgrade to wireless ac with potential bluetooth (but not necessary). Cannot find a reference anywhere.  Would appreciate any advice or leads for the proper part fom my particular laptop.
Thanks in advance, 
therobbie1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

See page 61 and see if this is something you even want to try to do. 

Your laptop has no whitelist issue so you can install any wireless card of the right form factor. The problem is the only wireless modules offered on your model are very low-end cards 1 x 1 and I think you likely have a single antenna which makes upgrade very hard to do. There is no way to count antennae without opening it up so if you want to do this we also need to discuss how to add an antenna lead just in case. 

This is what you want to install but it is going to need 2 antennae:

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-Ac-Hmc/dp/B00DMCVKMU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=14867353...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

See page 61 and see if this is something you even want to try to do. 

Your laptop has no whitelist issue so you can install any wireless card of the right form factor. The problem is the only wireless modules offered on your model are very low-end cards 1 x 1 and I think you likely have a single antenna which makes upgrade very hard to do. There is no way to count antennae without opening it up so if you want to do this we also need to discuss how to add an antenna lead just in case. 

This is what you want to install but it is going to need 2 antennae:

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-Ac-Hmc/dp/B00DMCVKMU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=14867353...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Hi, @therobbie1 :

I was in the process of replying to your post when it was already answered, so I deleted it.

But then  I looked at the suggested replacement WLAN card @Huffer posted, and I know that other forum members who tried the Intel 7260 dual band cards in their non-whitelisted notebooks with Pentium processors, for some crazy reason, they don't work.

I wish I could find the discussions on the forum for evidence, but I can't.

To remove any doubt of a wlan card working, I would recommend the Broadcom equivalent, which should work in any notebook without a whitelist, and uses the half mini card form factor.

Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo

HP Part # 724935-001

HP Recommended

THANK YOU for you speedy response. Its greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

And Paul, THANK YOU moreso for the additional info.

I'd been searching for a while with no clear answer but with both your responses, I beleve I have one! 

Your help is greatly appreaciated! 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you decide to go forward, let us know how your wireless card upgrade went.

HP Recommended

I have not seen the problems mentioned by @Paul_Tikkanen with Pentium processors. I know the Intel will not work with AMD and they are really designed to work with the higher-end Intel Core Processors. You have the Budget "Bay Trail" type Intel processor so I guess there is some chance it will not work. 

The Broadcom Azurewave is the Broadcom equivalent of the 7260 and is just about as good and will work with any type of processor:

https://www.amazon.com/AzureWave-Broadcom-BCM94352HMB-BCM94352-867Mbps/dp/B00JY6X9HM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=U...

I always specifically recommend the Azurewave to AMD owners, for example. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.