Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ZBook 15 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

HP support assistant offers INTEL WLAN updated driver, there are two updates available

critical one:

SP92647, driver version: 20.90.0.7

Release date:

Nov 13, 2018

optional one;

SP92246, driver version 20.90.0.7

Release date:

Oct 11, 2018

I'm unable to install any of them. When I'm trying to install, it looks like something being installed by it ends up with a failure message like installation failed or similar.

The driver version I'm curently using is the same version but different release date;

driver version 20.90.0.7

Release date:

Sep 25, 2018

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Have you tried downloading the driver and installing?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-zbook-15-g5-mobile-workstation/1886564...

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes I've already tried that, downloaded driver from the HP website and install it "manually". It did not help.

I've also tried to uninstall device driver and install it over again, it always comes back automatically to the driver I'm currently using, does not get updated to the latest drivers and of course HP support assistant still requires drive update.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem on a G5 zbook

HP Recommended

I'm also seeing the same with a ZBook 15 G5 and SoftPaqs #sp92246 and #sp92247.

HP Recommended

Maybe Expert @Paul_Tikkanen can take a look at the thread.

David

HP Recommended

Hi, all:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to use the latest driver directly from Intel for the 9560 AC wifi adapter.

Version: 20.90.0 (Latest) Date: 11/6/2018

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28276/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windo...

HP Recommended

Hi all,

I was finally able to 'fix' this overnight last night and wanted to share what I did in case it might lead anyone here to the actual cause and hopefully a simpler solution.

First, our scenario.  Yesterday when I was coming across this problem was day 1 with the ZBook.  It was delivered on Wednesday afternoon, I unboxed it and began onboarding Thursday morning.  We are a very small company, so our inital setup of new workstations is done manually--no images, and at the point where I'd seen the problem there had been no software deployed to the laptop. 

From the time that I first powered up and logged in, I noticed that the system was not as responsive as I expected.  This ZBook is running on an i7, 16GB RAM and SSD hard drive, but I still found that opening applications would take several seconds (upwards of 10) before opening.  I should have put more weight into this right away, but decided to carry on....

Initially when I came across this specific problem, the only things that had been done to the system were joining our AD domain, installing Windows 10 updates (release 1803) and after that I began installing HP updates through the HP Support Assistant app, in that order.  When I first found that Support Assistant failed to install, I went directly to the HP Support site and was able to download sp92246 and sp92247, but saw the same failure messages.  As I began troubleshooting, I noticed that the Admin. user in use was also not able to access the devmgmt.msc console.  I retried with a Domain Admin. account and found the same thing was happening.  At this point I ran an 'sfc /scannow' which found no errors.  After seeing this, I decided to use the Windows 10 "Reset this PC" tool to reinstall Windows and give it a 'fresh' start.

After Windows was reinstalled, I began the same steps as before with the exception of not joining the computer to our domain--everything was being done with a local admin account.  After installing Windows Updates again, I began installing the remaining HP updates through Support Assistant where I again saw the error.  Downloading either sp92246  or sp92247 from the HP Support website again, I found neither were able to be installed manually, just like before.  I had a feeling, but to confirm I attempted to open devmgmt.msc--again, this was denied with the error message "cannot access the specified device path or file".

At this point I assumed that it was most likely a problem with the HP image used in the factory to load Windows and the HP applications, so I downloaded the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and installed an (unsullied) version of Windows 10 (1809).  Third time was a charm, and after Windows Installed, I was able to resume the same steps (without joining our Domain) and found that Windows Updates and all updates through HP Support Assistant were able to be installed.  Further, the laggyness that I'd experienced previously was gone.  All apps are now opening with minimal delay.

My presumption is, as an outsider seeing others with the same model Zbook and problem, is that there may be an issue with either the image HP is using at the factory, or with one of the HP applications.  Removing both of these from the equation has resulted in a fully-working and updatable system.  I hope that this helps shed some light on what others are seeing. 

HP Recommended

I struggled with the same issue - Suppport Asisstant seeming to install the update, but never succeeded to. THE ADVICE of Paul Tikkanen (to update directly from Intel site) WAS GOLD. The update (via the Intel site) worked first time, and afterwards the Suppport Asisstant no longer said I needed to update the driver. And best of all - as hoped - a huge increase in wifi speed. Thank you Paul!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.