Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
probook 670b
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

rebuilding a hard drive for a 6470b, have found most drivers but looking for drivers for:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0890&SUBSYS_40228086&REV_CA  network controller

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E31& SUBSYS_179C103C&REV_04 universal serial bus (usb) controller

ACPI\HPQ6000  Unknown device

I've looked everywhere (I think)  Found many dead ends but so far no luck.

What doesn't work so far on this probook 6470b are the serial ports and the wireless

I don't check this forum often, my email is [Personal Information Removed]   - Jim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You need these drivers:

Network controller:

Driver - HP ProBook 6470b Notebook PC | HP® Customer Support

Universal serial bus (usb) controller

Unknown device

You will receive a notification by e-mail that someone replied to your post.

We cannot send replies directly to your e-mail, and you will probably find your e-mail address will be deleted by a moderator.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi:

You need these drivers:

Network controller:

Universal serial bus (usb) controller

Unknown device

You will receive a notification by e-mail that someone replied to your post.

We cannot send replies directly to your e-mail, and you will probably find your e-mail address will be deleted by a moderator.

HP Recommended

Paul, your suggestions were somewhat helpful.  In DM I was able to get rid of two of the errors, "universal SB errors" and the "unknown device" error.  I still have the "network controller" error.

The wifi still isn't working nor can I see the com ports, the com ports most important.  I have some devices that need to use the 9 pin rs-232 port.  All it shows under ports, is the LPT1 parallel port.

For my use of this computer, wifi isn't really important as the hard wire ethernet port works.

I might add, I am still unable to do any win7 updates, I get the error code 80072EFE.

I just tried plugging in a "vantec" usb to rs-232 adapter, it tried to install driver and failed.  As long as I leave the adapter plugged in, a new error, "usb-serial controller"  Don't know what chipset the adapter uses

I have a gut feeling that if I could get the updates, some problems may go away.

We are getting closer.    Jim

HP Recommended

I've seen it before, things don't work right until all of the updates from MS are complete.  Since I cannot download the updates, is there a way I can manually download the updates and install them?

Last, I mentioned the vantec usb-rs232 adapter didn't work.  I manually downloaded the chipset driver, it works fine now, but I still don't have my on-board rs-232 com port.

We are getting closer.  Jim

HP Recommended

Hi, Jim:

The hardware ID for the Network controller tells us it is an Intel 2200 Wi-Fi adapter.

I used 7-Zip to explore the driver file I gave you and there is no driver support for the hardware ID you posted.

You need the older driver from the support page.  I checked it out and it does have driver support for that ID.

Regarding the serial ports, do you have a device with a ! mark on it labeled as a PCI Serial Port?

If so, you need this driver for that device.

Windows Update:

If you used an old 2009 version of W7, Microsoft made some major revisions to the OS and they issued a updated ISO file from 2018 which allows you to easily do the updates.

What I recommend you do is to read the info at the link below and that should resolve the Windows update problem.

Windows 7 Update Problems? Read this first. - Microsoft Community

You shouldn't need to go to the advanced users discussion.

HP Recommended

Silly me, I've worked with so many laptops lately, assumed that there were rs-232 ports, there are none, so I'll have to use usb-rs-232 adapters, that problem is then solved.

So since these laptops will not be using the internet, asides that we don't have the updates, I think they are going to work.  On general principal, I'd like to have the wireless and updates, but if I can't I can live with what I have.

Jim

HP Recommended

Bingo!  The one for the older device worked, sp58782.

It seems that everything now works, except for updates.  I've tried manually downloading from MS and installing, doesn't work, but since this computer will not be connected to the internet, I don't think it's a problem.

Unless you can think of a solution to the update issue, we can consider this case closed.

I've spent many hours trying to help a non-profit out, and I'm finally getting there.

I can't think you enough -   Jim

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Jim.

The only thing I can think of you could try to get a better result would be to scrap that installation and use the newer W7 ISO file to create a bootable USB installation flash drive.

If you let me know if you need the W7 Home or W7 Pro installation media, I will give you the link to this file.

You will need a W7 product key to activate the installation.

Paul

HP Recommended

Paul, since I have spare drives and a duplicator, I don't mind going one more step.  If you could point me to an iso of windows 7 professional.  My cd or dvd is old from my employer, a university, an enterprise version.  Perhaps the iso I would obtain might already have sp1 on it?  I wonder if it would have some updates too?  Not being able to do the updates is a pain.

If it didn't have all of the HP drivers, at least I have them now.

Jim

HP Recommended

Hi, Jim:

The file I have given you below is from Microsoft, and it is just a vanilla edition of W7 Pro 64 bit but it does include SP1 and many updates up to 2018.

https://download.microsoft.com/download/0/6/3/06365375-C346-4D65-87C7-EE41F55F736B/7601.24214.180801... 

The link will be good for 24 hours from the time of this reply.

Since you know what drivers you need to install, it shouldn't be too much of an issue to reinstall W7 using this ISO.

Test it on one notebook. 

The ISO file is too large to fit on a standard DVD, so use the free Rufus utility to transfer the ISO file to an 8 GB USB flash drive so that the file is bootable.

Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

Select the MBR partition scheme if you are not installing W7 in UEFI mode.

You can pretty much just install the Wi-Fi driver and then let Windows update do its thing.

Then you can install the HP drivers.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.