Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp envy x360 convertible 15-bp1xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I turned on my laptop today, my wifi wouldn't work. It said no networks available. I googled how to fix this and uninstalled and reinstalled drivers. That didnt work, I then uninstalled the device intel dual band wireless-ac 7265 and uninstalled drivers. I restarted and reinstalled drivers and attempted to get the device back. A device showed with an exclamation point under network adaptors so I attempted to update the drivers to that but it gave me an error saying couldnt find find the file specified intel dual band wireless-ac 7265. It then moved the device to other devices as an unknown device. I have since learned my computer did an update on 7/8/20 and another today 7/9/20. When viewing the events for the device it shows on 7/8/20 that new drivers and a bunch of stuff was done but no errors. Im assuming that this was caused by the update on 7/8/20. I have uninstalled the update for that date. It didnt solve the problem and wont let me uninstall the one for 7/9/20. How can I get my wifi back?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to see if installing the latest driver directly from Intel gets the wifi adapter to work again.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29520/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters...

I have two of those model wifi adapters...one in a HP desktop PC and one in a HP notebook PC.

Both PC's are running the latest version of W10 (v20.04) with all the latest updates and they work fine.

So it must be some issue specifically with your notebook.

HP Recommended

I have tried your link and the one directly from hp for my specific laptop.  Both give the same message when I try to update the driver of this now "unknown device". I dont know how to get the device manager to recognize it.

HP Recommended

Actually I installed this one https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28822/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Intel... and then uninstalled when it didnt work. When I tried the one from your link it says "A fatal error occurred during installation."

HP Recommended

Since nothing is working for you, the only other suggestion I can offer would be to try the F11 factory reset option.

Back up any files you want to keep onto a portable hard drive since the factory reset will delete them.

Here is a info link for the various ways to factory reset your notebook...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00006110

HP Recommended

I found this in the install log.

Adding driver package: Netwtw04.INF
Driver package added successfully.
Published Name: oem92.inf
Unable to install driver package: The system cannot find the file specified.

Adding driver package: Netwtw06.INF
Published Name: oem94.inf
Driver package installed.

Adding driver package: Netwtw08.INF
Published Name: oem96.inf
Driver package installed.

It says it cant find the file, but its there with the other 2 files. Is there a way I can manually make it find it or delete something to make it work?

HP Recommended

Also, this file shows it was last modified at the time the update started on 7/8/20.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.