Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion DV6
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi Forum,

I have a Pavillion DV6 ( 2011 model). 

It has an intel 1030N wireless card.

The problem is that it drops connection randomly.

and when that happens, the notebook will crash to bluescreen upon shutting down.

the bluescreen error is 

Driver_power_State_Failures

STOP: 0x0000009f

I have updated to the latest bios (2013) and the latest wireless driver from intel (2012)

not much luck

Please help

Thanks

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Michael,

The most common causes for a wireless connection drop are your wireless router and network card.  I will suggest few steps that should get your wireless connection back up and running. 

If you are using a router (particularly a dual band router), you’ll want to go into the wireless settings (usually under “setup”), and specify a channel. Try using a different channel than the default, and make this settings for both of your bands (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) if you’re using a dual bound router. Definitely do not use the “auto” setting. From our troubleshooting it appears that this is the main culprit. Try setting a higher channel, and if that doesn’t work, try different channels. It’s very possible that there are enough networks in your immediate area on the same channel that they’re conflicting with each other.

If switching the router channel didn’t work, you can try these other tips to help prevent your wireless connection from dropping.

First, see if your computer is managing your wireless card’s power. It may be instructed to shut off your wireless connectivity after a certain amount of idle time goes by. If you have system specific utilities, such as Dell’s Quickset, make sure that the wireless power management isn’t set to shut off the card if your computer is idle for a certain period of time.  Second you’ll want to check the settings on your wireless card via your device manager. In Windows XP:

• Right-click on “My Computer” and select “Properties”
  • Select “Hardware” and click on “Device Manager”
  • Find your wireless card under “Network adapters” and double-click it.
  • Verify that there aren’t any auto power management settings enabled that might be shutting your card down prematurely.

Michael, let me know , if this has helped you resolve the issue.. if not , i shall let you know more steps. 

Regards,

Ashok

Ashok ... HP..always working

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello Michael,

The most common causes for a wireless connection drop are your wireless router and network card.  I will suggest few steps that should get your wireless connection back up and running. 

If you are using a router (particularly a dual band router), you’ll want to go into the wireless settings (usually under “setup”), and specify a channel. Try using a different channel than the default, and make this settings for both of your bands (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) if you’re using a dual bound router. Definitely do not use the “auto” setting. From our troubleshooting it appears that this is the main culprit. Try setting a higher channel, and if that doesn’t work, try different channels. It’s very possible that there are enough networks in your immediate area on the same channel that they’re conflicting with each other.

If switching the router channel didn’t work, you can try these other tips to help prevent your wireless connection from dropping.

First, see if your computer is managing your wireless card’s power. It may be instructed to shut off your wireless connectivity after a certain amount of idle time goes by. If you have system specific utilities, such as Dell’s Quickset, make sure that the wireless power management isn’t set to shut off the card if your computer is idle for a certain period of time.  Second you’ll want to check the settings on your wireless card via your device manager. In Windows XP:

• Right-click on “My Computer” and select “Properties”
  • Select “Hardware” and click on “Device Manager”
  • Find your wireless card under “Network adapters” and double-click it.
  • Verify that there aren’t any auto power management settings enabled that might be shutting your card down prematurely.

Michael, let me know , if this has helped you resolve the issue.. if not , i shall let you know more steps. 

Regards,

Ashok

HP Recommended

Thanks Ashok

I disabled the power management on the wireless NIC. There has not been any wielress drop / notebook crash.

Thanks again for your help, and Happy New Year !

Michael

HP Recommended

Thank you too Michael for replying.  Indeed happy to know , that the solution worked.    I will be happy to resolve any issues that might occur with your computer, Michael. So, please be free to use this platform for any technical issues. 

Regards, 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.