Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

System: Dv6 1242et

Replaced so far:

HDD 500 GB Seagate 7200rpm SATA

HDD Connection Cable

Tried so far:

changed & multiple times clean install op system (BTW i used ubuntu and i don't remember this problem occured)

all drivers re-installed from hp-official site

all drivers re-installed from their original website

punched the laptop 🙂

bios self-check for both ram&hdd nothing found

chkdsk

disk defragmenter

ccleaner

virus check with antivirus cd

upgraded bios

Current Operating System: Win7 Home Pre

Problem:

Occasionally when i turn-on my PC the hdd led indicator is flashing constantly. This situation lasts 5-30min if i don't turn-off, restart, start chkdsk (which finds something every time-not bad sector). On my windows resource monitor it shows on hdd part I/O is like %10-15 but highest active time %99 %97 or %100 While in a game proccess or a simple proccess like searching on Google when this happens PC frozes but not the mouse.  Sometimes when i restart computer with this error im taking No Operating System Is Currently Installed On This Computer error. Then i turn it off again cut all power, click on-of button for 30 sec and then when i turn it on it fixes this problem. From the begening of this post my hdd led was all on now its normal for example.

There is no heating problem with cpu or gpu but when i unplug my hdd its burning like hell.

So far those are my problems i could remember if i remember anything else i will reply this post thanks for helping.

and i want to tell this may be just because of this my next comp wont be HP.

Sorry for bad grammar btw 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It sounds counter intuitive to take the HDD out of the box and freeze it if the HDD is not the root cause, though I do understand that you want to do something.  You don't want to roast your computer.

If you are running Linux (or have done so in the past) on the same box and same HDD, the overheating does not happen, so it has to be something in the way in which the system is being used when you are using Windows OR in the way the computer is accessing its files after the Windows install.

• If you are using the system for gaming and it is not a gaming machine, that is, it is not built for it, then you are beatinig it up and it will get hot.  End of story.

• If there is something odd in the install, and there is something odd in the installation each time you install Windows, AND Windows has to work very hard all the time to access even regular data, then it will get hot.  This could be real hard to track down from the outside.  Every installation is different once you start adding your personal data.

• That fact that this is Windows specific is important, though I cannot tell you in what way.  The Resource Monitor is capable of telling you what is going on, but you have to learn to intrepret the information - AND the system has to stay running long enough each time so you can watch it decline.  It could take some time for you to learn what is going on.

• You might consider taking the box to a reputable repair tech - just to have a look at it your installation and the box and make sure all is in order.  Be sure to tell the tech the box does not have issues running Linux, just the bare bones Windows installation.

• You can also consider (if no warranty), taking apart the box and applying thermal paste - time honored and it should work.. there is risk of destroying your notebook if you do it wrong.  Lots of info on Google for this.

Final Words:  These are not laptops, the dv6 and dv7 notebooks run hot when pushed and do have to be run on a decent work surface with plenty of air circulation under them.  You need a cooler if you want to use the system hard, even a non-gaming setup.  Do not use the notebook on a couch, a bed, a carpet, on a chair... if you do these things, you will end up with a hot notebook and a sad situation.  These models run hotter than some and you have to protect them.  That being said: they are not supposed to burn up.

If I think of something useful, I'll post back.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

You might get ccleaner off the system, or at least not use it for awhile.  I used to use registry cleaners, and ccleaner is one of the most benign I have ever used or seen ... nonetheless, registry cleaners can be hard on a healthy system.  This is just my opinion...

Here is something to try / consider:

sfc-scannow

Scan and repair the system.  The sfc /scannow command will do that - it will scan the operating system, looking for corrupted files and inconsistencies; it will replace and repair whatever it can.  If it finds corrupted programs or libraries, it will try to fix them.

• Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Right-Click Command Prompt > Select 'Run as Administrator'
  • In the Command Prompt Window, type (or copy / paste) sfc /scannow and press Enter

(Note the space between sfc and the "/".)

The sfc scan will report its findings and you can examine the results:

• Open a Command Prompt (does not have to be as Administrator):
  • Use the copy command to create a readable file copy of the output:

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log %userprofile%\desktop\cbs.txt

If “scannow” does not complete properly, try running:

sfc /verifyonly

Copy the results into a text file, pull the output file into Notepad and look for the errors that the full Scan could not fix.

Help File for the System File Checker Command:

System File Checker tool Windows Vista or on Windows 7

Using System File Checker (SFC) to Restore System Files

================================================================================

You can ignore all the sfc "log this" and look at that stuff.  Just call it up, fire it off and let it run.  The program will take care of itself.  You do not have to really "do" anything unless your system has issues - then you can get involved with logs, and looking around, and trying to figure out what you have to do.

As to not ever buying another HP.... personal choice.  HPs are really nice computers, and so are a bunch of other PCs.  Almost every computer manufacturer can make a decent notebook.  Every computer can have problems.  It is always best when the problems are on the OTHER guy's computer - no matter what kind it is.  I do sympathise.

I hope this helps...

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended
sfc command complated with success, said its all ok.
i found a way to look for hdd temp its 50 degrees while led is solid.
and from now on when it overheats an shows same symptoms i unpluh my hdd and put it on freezer after 10 min its working fine 😄
i couldnt understand this problem m even using cooler pad for notebook. what the hell is wrong with this pc :((
HP Recommended

It sounds counter intuitive to take the HDD out of the box and freeze it if the HDD is not the root cause, though I do understand that you want to do something.  You don't want to roast your computer.

If you are running Linux (or have done so in the past) on the same box and same HDD, the overheating does not happen, so it has to be something in the way in which the system is being used when you are using Windows OR in the way the computer is accessing its files after the Windows install.

• If you are using the system for gaming and it is not a gaming machine, that is, it is not built for it, then you are beatinig it up and it will get hot.  End of story.

• If there is something odd in the install, and there is something odd in the installation each time you install Windows, AND Windows has to work very hard all the time to access even regular data, then it will get hot.  This could be real hard to track down from the outside.  Every installation is different once you start adding your personal data.

• That fact that this is Windows specific is important, though I cannot tell you in what way.  The Resource Monitor is capable of telling you what is going on, but you have to learn to intrepret the information - AND the system has to stay running long enough each time so you can watch it decline.  It could take some time for you to learn what is going on.

• You might consider taking the box to a reputable repair tech - just to have a look at it your installation and the box and make sure all is in order.  Be sure to tell the tech the box does not have issues running Linux, just the bare bones Windows installation.

• You can also consider (if no warranty), taking apart the box and applying thermal paste - time honored and it should work.. there is risk of destroying your notebook if you do it wrong.  Lots of info on Google for this.

Final Words:  These are not laptops, the dv6 and dv7 notebooks run hot when pushed and do have to be run on a decent work surface with plenty of air circulation under them.  You need a cooler if you want to use the system hard, even a non-gaming setup.  Do not use the notebook on a couch, a bed, a carpet, on a chair... if you do these things, you will end up with a hot notebook and a sad situation.  These models run hotter than some and you have to protect them.  That being said: they are not supposed to burn up.

If I think of something useful, I'll post back.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I've just installed Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation (RC Candidate). It seems like there is no more problem. 🙂

I believe it was like you said: Something odd with installition of Win7. Thank you for your helps. BTW Win8 is a mess for non-touchscreen devices 🙂

HP Recommended

You are welcome.

Excellent Choice to move to "8".

I like it!

Yeah.. Windows 8 is a different kettle of fish.    Smiling.

Happy Computing to you!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

My disk shows 100 % highest active time... due to which i get sudden unresponsiveness / hang ups.... any application whether chrome or ms-word hangs for 10 sec or so after every 5 min .

Plz help me out with this .. m **bleep** frustrated with this

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.