Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
15-ay163nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, i just bought this new Laptop called 15-ay163nr, its a i7 7500HQ with 8 GB of ddr4 RAM and 1 tb HDD and Windows 10, just opened the box and start the computer and i noticed it was so slow and has 100% of disk all the time, tryed everything, since disabling windows update, superfetch, BIT, desinstaling McAfee (comes as default anti-virus) upgrading virtual memory and reinstalling windows (from the factory hp recovery option), as i sayd its new, i did nothing apart of starting it up, im so done i want a fix (if there is any) help please!

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Task Manager should show you which process is using the disk.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

There is no process at the top, i can see windows defender, as local host, all at the same amount of disk usage, there is no all the time top process, other thing i can see is that CPU is allways 0% and disk 100% and if for some reason cpu goes (for example) 15% then disk go down to 85% at the same exact time, the computer still running so slow as having to wait like 10 minutes (or even more) to rebooting.

HP Recommended

The process won't necessarily be at the top. Scroll down through the list to see which process is using highest %.

HP Recommended

Now i see all of them at 0.1 % (and "all" are a few 4~6 process having windows defender with some spikes of 0.3%)

HP Recommended

It is not at 100% disk useage right now,I assume? Wait until it is at 100% or close and check Task Manager. 

Btw, do you have OneDrive icon in system tray? If so right click it and select Settings. Uncheck "Start OneDrive automatically when I logon".

HP Recommended

Thats the strange part, it is at 100% while all the precess are at 0.1 as i sayd above, i didnt check the one drive things gotta try it and tell you what happen.

HP Recommended

Apparently i solved it, the problem was that at the very beggining of the windows start up a message that says "one drive needs an up date to keep working" will show and instantly close, after that the auto driver installer of HP will be traped in a huge loop with one drive i dunno why, i solved it by using the HP factory reset (its not the same if you just re-install windows with the windows 10 recovery) if you use hp software it will re-sintall completly the computer, then you just cancell one drive update and close it down inmediatly, then you wait till hp driver installer finish and disk should be normal, i still dont know why it happend or if its a solid fix, but for now its working.

HP Recommended

I have seen other cases where Microsoft OneDrive causes high disk useage -even after it is updated if it is allowed to run at logon.It is scanning the drive looking for files to upload to a users OneDrive account and/or scanning the OneDrive storage in cloud for files to synchronize on the machine. MS allots 15gb of cloud storage to anyone with an account-such as if you have a MS email account you are using as your logon to Windows.

If you don't use OneDrive-formerly Skydrive-to store files or you don't want them synced to your laptop you may want to Uninstall it in Control Panel, Programs & Features. If you do use it to store files and want files synced- update it and sign in with your MS account and adjust what files to Sync. It will cause high disk useage for a little while but will subside. You can also change the setting to not always start when you logon but files on the laptop you choose to  back up to OneDrive will not automatically be done. You would open OneDrive and choose Sync files.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/onedrive-will-work-windows-10/

HP Recommended

Hi, 

Updated my win 8 to win 10 about 6 months ago and started to wonder why the laptop started to slow down.

Tried a dozen tricks how to get rid of the 100% hd usage including disabling services, updating gazillion drivers and waiting days of checkdisk. And eventually today your hint to uninstall one drive helped it.

Huge thanks!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.