Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
17-w033dx HP Omen
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I am trying to determine if it is possible to upgrade both the RAM and Hardrive in this particular laptop (17-w033dx) . I was under the impression that this laptop could support both the 1TB SHHD and also a 512GB SSD. I would love to ugrade to an SSD but also keep the 1TB SHHD in the laptop as well. Is that a viable option? Also, the machine currently has 12 GB of RAM (1x4GB 1x8GB). Id like to max the RAM out at what I believe is 16GB. Unfortuantly when I checked partsurfer the RAM is on backorder. Is it possible to use RAM that is not from HP? And if so, is there performance increase using name brand RAM vs the stock RAM? I am aware that the RAM should be matching set so I may go with another brand if possible. Lastely, I also noticed on partsurfer that there is an optional 150W power supply, rather pricey for just the brick, however this came with only a 120W. I am thinking of also getting that as I did read somewhere on these forums that another user had upgraded his power supply and saw less lag when using graphic intense application. Obviosly I purchased this laptop to game on so anything to maximize this machine sounds good to me. Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

See page 36. It can take an M.2 mSSD in a slot that is right above the hard drive. 

There is also a little-used space for a second 2.5 inch drive in the upper right corner of the chassis but it is very hard to locate the proper mounting hardware and cable for that. 

As for the memory, you do not have to buy it from HP, but you should try to match the memory module. The proper part number is:

8 GB 2133 MHz 1.2 v DDR4 shared 820570-005

I cannot find the memory on amazon.com or ebay by part number but this memory is likely to be an exact duplicate of the original module:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-DDR4-SODIMM-LAPTOP-GAMER-GAMING-8GB-PC4-2133P-1R-/162316094409?hash=...

I would pull the original module and take a look at it and try to locate memory by the memory maker part number on it.  There is nothing to be gained by buying "performace" or gaming memory. It would be a waste of money as the laptop will run no faster than the speed of the stock memory. The eBay seller is doing a little "puffing" calling that Samsung memory "gaming"; it is stock OEM memory. 

2 x 8 gigs or 16 gigs is the maximum. 

Don't buy a new power supply. The laptop will only draw the power it needs. So unless it cuts out or restarts your power supply is giving it all the juice it needs. The feeling that using a 150W adapter improves performance is just wishful thinking. 

Post back with any more questions. These upgrades are fairly technical and may jeopardize your warranty you should know. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the quick and complete response. Excatly the information I was looking for.

HP Recommended

OK .. So using the information I recieved and some research I have conducted, I do have the following options.. G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (2 x 8G) 260-Pin DDR4 SO-DIMM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Laptop Memory Model ...is the lowest priced memory I found and the Intel SSD 600p Series (512GB, M.2 2280 80mm NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4, 3D1, TLC) for the hardrive. According to the manual posted above, I think these are the correct choices.

Also, according to the manual .. this machine is a "NVIDIA N16 E-GR (GeForce GTX 965M), 4 GB i7-6700HQ

Under miscellanous section (pg 34)

150 W PFC, Smart, slim, 4.5 mm (for use with products with NVIDIA N16 E-GR (GeForce GTX 965M) only)
120 W PFC, S-3P, slim, 4.5 mm (for use with products with NVIDIA N16P-GX (GeForce GTX 960M) only)

So it seems that the "replacement" power supply should be the larger 150W but it ships with the smaller part. Am a bit confused about the "for use with "such and such" only part". Seems like HP reconizes the 965M with the i7-6700HQ needs slightly more power?

EDIT: Just noticed as I was browsing the manual again, Under the dual configuartions section for the hard drives that is says "1TB + 256GB PCIe SSD" ..  Is it correct that it means that in order to keep my current 1TB drive I can only upgrade to 256GB for the SSD?

Also, does the TLC portion of the capable SSD matter? Would a SSD with MCL work?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.