Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 4710s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I have a HP 4710s with installed WIN10 PRO 64bit and default bios from 2009. Can I update the bios with the latest version available on your site - F20 even if it is written to be made for win 7 pro 64bit? I don't see versions for win10.

One more question: The reason I would like to update the BIOS is it to set my FAN on lower RPM because it is always (100% time) working at full speed and it is very noisy and makes me headaches! 😞 The temperature of CPU is low just 37 degres celsius so there is plenty of room to lower the fan speeed. Will the bios update on f20 make it possible to control the fan speed?

Thank you very very much for your kind answer.

Matt

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@MattLix

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Sorry, but the HP BIOS updates are configured to be OS-version specific; thus you would not be able to run a BIOS update configured for Win7 on a PC that is now running Win10.

HP only produces BIOS updates for the OS versions that come preinstalled on their PCs.

Since this is not a new laptop, it's possible that doing some simple cleaning might allow for better airflow and that could reduce the fan speed and noise:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01007591?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0002

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood

Hello WAWood,

I already cleaned the inside of the laptop 1 week ago especially the part around the fan. There was plenty of dirt, now the laptop is clean but it produces even more noise since the air goes fully out. Please be so kind to answer me two important questions.

1. So If I understand right i can install windows 7 again on my pc then update the bios to the version f20 and after that I am free to install again windows 10?

2. Please be so kind to give me an exact answer if updating the bios for HP Probook 4710s to the version f20 allows to adjust in the bios the fan speed?

Thank you very very much.

Best regards,

Matt

HP Recommended

Someone please be so kind to answer to my two questions.  WAWood maybe?

Thanks a lot!

HP Recommended

@MattLix wrote:

@WAWood

Hello WAWood,

I already cleaned the inside of the laptop 1 week ago especially the part around the fan. There was plenty of dirt, now the laptop is clean but it produces even more noise since the air goes fully out. Please be so kind to answer me two important questions.

1. So If I understand right i can install windows 7 again on my pc then update the bios to the version f20 and after that I am free to install again windows 10?

2. Please be so kind to give me an exact answer if updating the bios for HP Probook 4710s to the version f20 allows to adjust in the bios the fan speed?

Thank you very very much.

Best regards,

Matt

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE somebody help me and answer my two questions or give me an email adress of HP employes that can help me.

THANKS a lot!

HP Recommended

@MattLix

Sorry I didn't get back sooner ... been busy ...

If you restore Win7, then the BIOS update should work OK -- as that is what it is written for.

Unless the details information in the HP BIOS update specifically mentions addressing the fan, there is no reason to suspect it would have anything to do with the fan.  BIOS updates are typically done to support new processors and other new hardware -- and since the fan is not new, it is very unlikely to be affected by a BIOS update.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.