Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
elitebook 8460p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

it looks like Windows 10 isn't (yet?) officially supported for my Elitebook 8460p.

I tried installing anyway and everything went smoothly, except I have poor brightness control for the display.

Till yesterday I had just two settings: maximum and somewhat low brightness. Now I can change it more smoothly from low to maximum, I think after updating the Intel MEI driver. BUT the brightness setting is not on pair with the windows slider (in the power or display options), and it looks like there are two programs fighting to set the brightness value, since it "flickers" when I'm changing it. And it's not the ambient light sensor fault, I checked. The display backlight flashes when setting a brightness level. 

This is tolerable now (having just two settings was not!), but the FN hotkeys won't work, and the ambient light sensor won't work either!

Now.. 

regarding the hotkeys, I tried installing different version of the hotkey driver (4.5 and 5.0). I managed to get the hpHotkeyMonitor service up and running, and the volume control overlay is working. So.. maybe the hotkey service works, but it sends the commands to the wrong device, or the device is not there to get them. I think it's the latter.

I think the problem stems from some driver which could be related to the chipset or the graphic processor. Am I wrong?

Intel provides no graphic drivers for windows 10 for its HD3000 gpus, and they say (here, comment 27: https://communities.intel.com/thread/61432?start=15&tstart=0) that that's because HP didn't test the notebook for Windows 10 (poor excuse, if you ask me). Anyway the old Windows 8.1 drivers work just fine in all compartmetns, except maybe the brightness control.

Do you have any suggestion on how to solve this issue?

Can HP provide updated versions of the Hotkey support driver tested with Windows 10?

Can HP test Windows 10 on an 8460p Elitebook and work with Intel on updated version of whichever driver may need to be updated (chipset/graphics)?

Thank you very much for your time and work

Kind regards

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

wow, thanks HP, that was so helpful

HP Recommended

Hi, it's your bluetooth working OK?

I update W7 Pro to W10 and I have no bluetooth ...

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hey mates,

ffsjustaname:

What Elitebook 8460p Version do you have?

There are quite a few differences like an integrated and ~discrete graphics card.

I've the same book and on my machine, everything works fine. I also have installed the latest found driver for the hotkeys, I think it's 5.0 but I had a problem with auto dimming backlight that also was changing with via BIOS disabled light sensor. But this is depending on an inte´grated radeon graphics card.

Maybe this also could be your issue. 🙂

The solution for this was for me:

"

1. Open the registry editor by pressing Win+R and typing in regedit
  2. Browse to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000
  3. Right-Click on the 0000 key (it looks like a folder).
  4. Select New->Dword.
  5. Name the new registry entry PP_VariBrightFeatureEnable
  6. Double-click on the PP_VariBrightFeatureEnable entry you just created.
  7. Make sure it has a value of 0
  8. Click OK, close the registry editory, and restart the machine.
"

Sources:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/How-do-I-disable-auto-brightness-of-th...

and

http://itmishmash.blogspot.de/2014/04/how-do-i-disable-auto-brightness-on.html

------------------------------------

egp1:

Windows 10 delivers the BlueTooth drivers out of the box, so maybe you should also check, if you BT Hardware is recognized by the Windows device manager.

Greetings

Psy 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.