Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Product Number is G0T59AV.

I would like to know how I can boot from a CD and also want to know how I can boot into safe mode.  I know that I can get into safe mode from the Win 10 recovery but want to know how in case Win 10 will not boot.

HP ENVY 15t Quad TouchSmart
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Here is link to HP support document on how to enter safe mode:

https://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c03439317

To boot from CD you need to change the boot order so that the DVD drive is before the Hard drive. Press ESC when computer starts and there will be the option for boot order. Or enter the Bios by pressing ESC at startup and here there will be the option to change boot order. When booting you will be prompted to press any key to boot from CD.

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick response.  The solution for getting to safe mode seems to be fine but I have problem with the boot from CD.

When I press the esc to change the boot order, I only get 2 choices - Standard OS and uefi boot.  If I try uefi it does not boot.  When I go into the BIOS to change the order, it seems to ignore the order and just boots from the OS on the SS hard drive.

Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

Disable secure boot in Bios settings and save changes. Reboot the computer. It is possible that a message will appear about the secure boot change and you might have to insert the code onscreen.

Now reboot the computer and the dvd should appear in the boot order and you can choose the drive. Windows might startup anyway. Press and hold power button to turn off PC and after 10 seconds restart PC and it should now boot from cd. After you have finished booting from disk, reset the Bios settings to default.

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

I disabled the secure boot in the bios and also changed the order of boot so the dvd player was first.  I rebooted (go not warning message) and the boot stilloccurred from the Win 10 OS.  I then rebooted again and pressed the esc and got to the menu and went to boot menu and still only have the Win OS and EFI as choices.

So the bottom line is I stlll am not able to boot from DVD player.

Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

I finally got it working.  In addition to deleting secure boot I also has to enable legacy boot

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.