Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Somehow this is under windows 8 but the link only supports up to windows 7.

HP Recommended
Jmcgowan8:
The driver Paul posted on Dec 27th loaded just fine on my windows 8 - even though it didn't solve the problem. Have you tried this one?
HP Recommended

hi, I have a netgear 3400 dual router and my new laptop has atheros 9565 adapter and it is only picking up the 2.5G-n signal at a speed of 72, and not picking up the 5G-n signal. when I plugged in the router directly I hooked up at 100, I have updated driver for the adapter and firmware on the router to support windows 8. Any suggestions.

thx,

HP Recommended

Hi:

If the card doesn't see the 5.0 GHz band, it is not a dual band card.

Nothing special has to be done for the card to see both bands.

I am not familar with the model of the card you posted.

It is not even listed on the Qualcomm Atheros website.

Any Atheros card that HP puts in their PC's that I am aware of, are only 2.4 GHz cards.

If the card is also only an N150 card, then 72 MBPS connections on the 2.4 GHz band sound normal to me.

They are usually half what the rated speed is.

To confirm that your card is a single band card go to the support and driver page for your notebook and look at the product specs. If the card is dual band, it will be listed as an a/b/g/n card.

If it is a single band card, it will be listed as b/g/n card.

HP Recommended

thanks, you are correct its listed as b/g/n, so I would like to change to a dual band to maximize my connection, do you have any recomendations for replacement cards

my laptop is a HP touchsmart 4t 1115 ultrabook

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Because it is normally very difficult to change a wireless card in an HP notebook, I have no recommendations.

If there aren't any dual band cards listed in chapter 3 of the service manual for your notebook, then I would not pursue the matter.

Normally installing a card not listed in the service manual (and it must also have the HP part number on it), will cause the notebook to halt on boot until the unsupported wlan card is removed.

I have heard of instances on the brand new dv6 and dv7 windows 8 notebooks where people have been able to install generic Intel dual band cards without any problems, so maybe HP is moving away from the practice of locking out unsupported cards in the BIOS. That however, is pure speculation on my part.

HP Recommended

Hi Guys

This is my first post so hello to all and happy new year to you all. Now my question

I have a  Compaq Presario C792EA Notebook PC purchased from HP October 2008

with Atheros 5007 802b/g wireless adaptor and windows vista basic.

I have upgraded about 6 weeks ago to BT Infinity with b/g/n speeds but the problem

is i think that the wireless adaptor in NOT compatible with N technology is this correct

and is the a fix or solution apart from having to buy another laptop.

Thanks in advance guys. Forgot to mention i now have the BT Hub3 wireless router.

HP Recommended

Happy New Year to you too and welcome to the HP Consumer Support Forum.

Your wireless adapter should connect to the router and access the internet if you install the driver I posted.

It will not connect at anything faster than the wireless G speed of 54 MBPS, because that is all it can do.

There are no compatible wireless N cards for your PC, so if you want wireless N connection speeds, yes, you will need a new notebook, or purchase an external Wireless N USB adapter for your current one.

HP Recommended

We just purchased a Pavilion G6-2320DX. I love the machine except for the Artheros WiFi card. I'm sorry, but it's just not good quality. I have a NetGear router that is top-of-the-line. I have the following connected to it via WiFi:

Wii, 3 iPod touches, Kindle Fire, Droid RAZR MAXX, Nexus 7 tablet, 2 Roku boxes as well as a PC connected using a Belkin USB WiFi adapter.

All of these connect just fine to my NetGear router without a hitch. But, the Pavilion G6-2320DX and Artheros wifi card? No go.

I've tried all the tips in here and all that I get is that it says it's connected, but when you try to surf the web, forget it. It hangs. I can actually get to www.google.com but that's it.

However, if I turn on the WiFi hotspot option in my Droid RAZR, the problem goes away. Or, if I take the Belkin USB WiFi adapter, it works. But then, what's the use of a built-in WiFi card?

I really wish HP and/or Qualcomm would get this issue fixed as I see it's been going on for the better part of over a year now, and I just do not believe that is acceptable.

I was also looking at a Toshiba, but it uses the same WiFi card. So, I just don't understand WHY this will not work? After over a year of this, you would think someone would have come up with why this happens and/or a viable solution that works for everyone?

I suppose I could go back to Best Buy and swap out the laptop for another one, but I have the feeling it won't matter.

Has ANYONE come up with other solutions other than what was stated here (updating the drivers, making sure the laptop doesn't shut off the WiFi when on battery, setting the profile to max performance, etc)? None of these have worked and it's VERY frustrating. I purchased this laptop for my daughters to use at school as they are allowed to bring in a device for school work. However, if I can't get it to work at home, who's to say it will work at school?

Has anyone elevated this to HP support? I just can't understand why this has gone on for over a year and there is still no viable solution.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

I just ended up taking my laptop back.  Wanted to try a comparable model with an Intel processor (which uses Ralink wifi adapter instead of the Qualcomm on the AMD models), but couldn't find one for the same price.  I agree with iBolski though, the Atheros wifi does not work as well as one would expect (at least mine didn't, and it sounds like I wasn't alone).  I shouldn't have to move my wireless router when all of my other devices and laptops work fine but this one didn't.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.