Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Spectra x360 (late 2016)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've got a brand new Spectra  x360 running the supplied Windows 10 Pro. I'd really like to take drive letter 😧 away from the recovery partition so I can assign it to a data partition. I like to have my data on D:, I've just always done things this way. I've been able to create the free space for the data partition.

I've tried using disk management but it will not let me change or remove the drive letter for the recovery partition.

I've already made a backup on a USB stick of the recovery media but I'd rather leave the recovery media on the SSD if possible, as I'm not desperate for space. I saw how to remove the recovery media in the HP support software, but as I say I'd rather avoid doing that.

I'd be happy to change 😧 to E:, or to no letter assigned. I just want to get it out of my way so I can assign it to my own partition.

Thanks,

Gary Berg

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can remove/delete it after creating Recovery media but you can't change its letter (D:). Recovery Manager won't work with other letter.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

So if I do remove the recovery media partition, will I get the letter 😧 back?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, it will be back.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I tested my recovery stick and then removed the recovery partition. I know I can extend my partition into this if I want. There's a 980Mb partition right ahead of the ex-OEM recovery partition that is also labeled "Recovery Partition". What is this and can it also optionally be removed (I'm new to Win 10)?

Thanks for your help!

Gary

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.