Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello.

Product: hp probook  6460b

I currently use BIOS version F01 (initial release).

Do somebody know way how can i update BIOS to latest revision without Windows. 

It seems that all HP BIOS softpacks are working only on Windows.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The instructions should be contained in the readme documentation when you run the BIOS download file.

If they aren't, then I don't know how to do it, but I am pretty sure the info is contained within that BIOS download file.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Was your notebook delivered with the UEFI environment  (HP System Diagnostics) preinstalled?

Best regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thank you for answer.

How can I check it?

I tried to upgrade BIOS via BIOS Setup Menu (press F10 during boot process).

It requires a BIOS image and signature in usb drive in Hewlett-Packard/BIOS/New and  something like HpBiosUpdare.efi in

Hewlett-Packard/BIOSUpdate.

I don't know where can i get these files.

HP Recommended

Hi:

What you can do is download the BIOS update you want on a windows PC, run it and follow the onscreen instructions to update the BIOS with a bootable flash drive.

You can create the bootble flash drive to update the BIOS on any windows based PC.

I downloaded the file on a HP dc7800 running XP, extracted the contents using 7-zip and below, I have copied and pasted the readme document contained therein for you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TITLE:  HP Notebook System BIOS Update

VERSION:  F.28 REV: 

DESCRIPTION: 

This package creates files that contain an image of the System BIOS (ROM)for the supported notebook models with a 68SCE and 68SCF Family ROM. This package is used to flash the System ROM on support notebook.

This package includes several methods for updating the BIOS version, as follows:

- Use the HPQFlash Utility to update the BIOS directly in a 

Microsoft Windows Operating System environment.

- Create a bootable USB Key to update the system BIOS.

- Use System Software Manager (SSM) to update the system BIOS on 

target PCs in a network.

NOTE: To determine the ROM family and ROM date, press F10 on the target notebook/laptop during startup to run the Setup Utility, and then view File/System Information.

PURPOSE:  Recommended

SoftPaq NUMBER:  SP59012

EFFECTIVE DATE:  September 25, 2012

CATEGORY:  BIOS

SSM SUPPORTED:  YES

DEVICES SUPPORTED  N/A: 

PREREQUISITES:  None

HOW TO USE: 

1.    Download the file by clicking the "Download" or "Obtain 

Software" button and saving the file to a folder on your hard 

drive (make a note of the folder where the downloaded file is

saved).

2. Depending on the desired update method, complete either of the

Following steps:

a.    To update the BIOS using HPQFlash or to create a bootable disk

on key,double-click the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.

OR

b.    To use HP System Software Manager (SSM) to update the BIOS on notebooks/laptops in a network, copy the downloaded file to the file store and then run the SSM software. 

HP Recommended

Unless I'm looking at the wrong page I don't see a bios update for your pc. I personally wouldn't flash the bios anyway unless it has something in there I really needed or was having problems, but that's just me.

HP Recommended

I agree with your position regarding flashing the BIOS.

However, there are BIOS updates for the 6460b, which are at the link below.  I picked W7 Pro just because...

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=5045596&...

HP Recommended

Hello, 

I extracted files from sp60365.exe.

I tried to execute HPQFlash on laptop with Windows 7 Home Extended and got error message about "no support for WMI in the system".

HP Recommended

Hi:

The HPQ flash will flash the bios in windows.

I thought you didn't want to flash the bios in windows.

You need to read the other instructions in the file to put the bios files on a usb flash drive or CD.

If you have decided to run the flash in Windows, then see this link to get around the WMI thing.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-e-g-Windows-8/SOLVED-BIOS-UPDATE-quot-SYSTEM-DOES-NOT...

HP Recommended

Hello,

could you please provide me links to instructions how to prepare USB or CD.

HP Recommended

Hi:

The instructions should be contained in the readme documentation when you run the BIOS download file.

If they aren't, then I don't know how to do it, but I am pretty sure the info is contained within that BIOS download file.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.