Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15-ac121dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Around 6-8 months ago, my laptop began to shut down even when fully charged. Around 4 months ago, it stopped recognizing HDMI connections. 2 days ago, instead of the blue screen of death, I got a purplish-pink Northern lights looking screen. After several reboots, it turned on long enough for me to reset the computer. It seemed to be fine for a day and a half, then started to fade pink and purple (i.e. it is not purple-pink at the moment).

Today, I spent an hour on the phone with HP tech (paid $60), who went updated all of my video drivers. He also used HP assistant to check my battery. The test was "good" charged at 93% and working fine.  Literally, 3 minutes after getting off the phone with support, I began timing the battery life:

1) I unplugged the AC adapter - laptop on battery 92%

2) At 1minute and 20 seconds  - laptop on  battery 91%

3) AT 1 minute and 50 seconds - shut down

4) I pressed the on/off button, got the Northern lights for about 7 seconds, then the black HP screen, then my long in screen. 

I am not tech savvy,  can anyone offer any insights or share if you have had similar problems and what it could be? I appreciate the support tech updating my drivers, but it doesn't seemed to have helped and he didn't believe me about the battery. He just said, looks like it's fine (which he was not happy about helping me with the battery check). 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Greetings @KTBolfer,

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that your computer shuts down even when you have 90% of battery left on your computer. 

Not to worry, I will be glad to help. 

Have you run an extensive test on your computer? 

Recommend you disconnect any external devices connected to your computer.

Have only the power adapter connected. 

Update the BIOS on your computer by downloading it from this link

Once the BIOS is updated, check if the issue is resolved. 

If the issue persists, uninstall the battery controller on your computer by following the procedure mentioned below.

Shut down the computer. 

Disconnect the battery and the power adapter. 

Wait for a minute. 

Connect only the power adapter and power on your computer. 

Once the computer boots to the desktop. 

Open device manager by doing a right-click on the Windows button. 

Uninstall Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

Please delete the driver when prompted and restart your computer couple times. 

Shut down the computer. 

Install the battery and power on your computer and check if this resolves the issue. 

Let me know how it goes. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.