Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 bl0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to configure my laptop so that the battery is always charged to 80% but no more since 95% of the time the laptop is on my desk plugged into an Ac adapter and the default 100% charge is horrible for Lithium-Ion batteries.

My Lenovo laptop and Sony Vaio Duo 13 both have manufacturer suplied software so you can set what percentage of the battery the laptop will charge to and I've set them both to 80%. This is the difference betweem having your laptop battery become pretty much useless after 2 years or it still being useful for 4 years.

Even our Tesla has this feature where you can specify that it charge only up to 80% of the battery capacity.

I looked all over and there seems to be no way to do this with the supplied HP software. How can I set the battery charge percentage for my laptop. This is such a basic feature and in 2017 with all we know about lithium ion batteries and how they degade this is such a basic and easy feature to gretaly expand the longetivity of the battery.

I hope there is a way to set the battery charge limit or threshold so that the charging is limited to 80% of the battery capacity.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@SBanks7789

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Spectre x360 bl0xx laptop. I read that you would like the laptop battery to stop charging once it reaches an 80% charge level. I'll do my best to help you.

Nowadays, the charge automatically stops when the battery charges to full 100% and come into action only once the charger is disconnected. Therefore, there is no harm if the battery charges till 100%.

To understand more about how your battery works: Click here

I do not think that there is a software build by HP to control the battery charge levels. However, I did some research to see if there is any such option in Windows And here is what I found:

• Go to Control Panel>> Hardware and sound>> Power Options.
  • Next to the selected power plan, click on "change plan settings."

• Click on "Change advanced power settings."

You will see the below screen.

There are options to select when the battery level is low, etc. But option to stop the charge level at 80%.

I hope this answers your question. Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Any chance this feature will be added in new drivers / software? It's realy helpful thing to have and not having it reduces value of laptop

HP Recommended

I am also very interesed in this feature! 

HP Recommended

I'd also be interested in this, or a way to stop charging at a specific cell voltage.  This will increase the number of charge cycles several times over what it would be charging the battery to 100% and leaving at it 100% the majority of the time. On my laptop (elitebook 8560p), 100% ends up being about 4.25v/cell.  I'd like to be able to charge it to 3.95v or 4v / cell.

This can sort of be done manually now, using HP Peak power manager.  I set charge interval to be 5 minutes per day, then increase it to a  greater interval when the charge has gotten too low.  I use the battery often enough this is able to keep the battery between 40% and 80%, usually closer to 60%.

HP Recommended

So we do not have a software sulotion for the problem by HP yet?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.