Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Really helpful customer service.

10:37 AM  

Me: Hi! Yeah that is correct. It drains power from the battery even when its completely turned off. As you can see that in that thread on ur forums others are having the same problem. Some of them have gotten it fixed by sending their pc for repair. Its firmware/drivers were updated.
10:38 AM   MeI was wondering if there is a official fix coming because I rather not send my pc.

10:40 AM   Michelle: Are we chatting on the same pc which has the issue?

10:41 AM MeNo, unfortunately not. Iam at work and the PC is at home.

10:42 AM   Michelle: 
The battery contain acid and electrodes inside the device and thus to avoid any chemical reaction inside the Battery, the PC firmware is designed in such a way that the battery will start draining itself, so the next time when you start the PC, you may have to plug in the power cord and start the PC or charge the battery. This is intended design in order to ensure long durability of the battery.

10:44 AM   MeIts not suppose to be like that. Its not suppose to drain battery when completely turned of. How do I get in contact with swedish support when it comes to warranty claims? Like I already told u others are having this problem and getting help from HP.

10:47 AM   Michelle: I would like to inform that Swedish support is not available on chat, I would be able to help you in English and fix the issue if there is an issue with the battery

10:47 AM   Michelle: But the discharge that you are referring to is an intended design

10:48 AM   MeNo it is not and you are giving me the wrong information. I will call later and ask I get to speak to someone in Sweden. Good bye.

HP Recommended

@elusivedream wrote:

Really helpful customer service.

10:37 AM  

Me: Hi! Yeah that is correct. It drains power from the battery even when its completely turned off. As you can see that in that thread on ur forums others are having the same problem. Some of them have gotten it fixed by sending their pc for repair. Its firmware/drivers were updated.
10:38 AM   MeI was wondering if there is a official fix coming because I rather not send my pc.

10:40 AM   Michelle: Are we chatting on the same pc which has the issue?

10:41 AM MeNo, unfortunately not. Iam at work and the PC is at home.

10:42 AM   Michelle: 
The battery contain acid and electrodes inside the device and thus to avoid any chemical reaction inside the Battery, the PC firmware is designed in such a way that the battery will start draining itself, so the next time when you start the PC, you may have to plug in the power cord and start the PC or charge the battery. This is intended design in order to ensure long durability of the battery.

10:44 AM   MeIts not suppose to be like that. Its not suppose to drain battery when completely turned of. How do I get in contact with swedish support when it comes to warranty claims? Like I already told u others are having this problem and getting help from HP.

10:47 AM   Michelle: I would like to inform that Swedish support is not available on chat, I would be able to help you in English and fix the issue if there is an issue with the battery

10:47 AM   Michelle: But the discharge that you are referring to is an intended design

10:48 AM   MeNo it is not and you are giving me the wrong information. I will call later and ask I get to speak to someone in Sweden. Good bye.

Wow...that's quite an exhibition of support acumen...obviously she had no idea what she was talking about.

I think on the previous page of this forum someone found some firmware on the HP support site for the touch screen that got rid of his battery drain problem after shutdown. You may want to read his post. 

HP Recommended

Thanks f1fan.

I too saw this update and installed it yesterday evening. I'll have a look later on after work and will let you know my findings.

Cheers!

HP Recommended

Regarding the 13-w023dx - After the subsystem firmware update posted in this forum I am still experiencing loss of indicated capacity during complete shutdown; however, in a very non-linear way...  100% for about 12 hours, 100-92% in the next 6.5 hours, 92-90% in 5.5 hours, 90-89% in 12 hours, 10 minutes of use, 81-79% in 7 hours, 79%-79% (no loss) in 10 hours.  All of this with less than 15 minutes of real world battery use in between shutdown periods. We will see what the next two days bring.

I think we are concerned that we do not want to open the notebook to an unexpected surprise when frequent charging is inconvenient and we are away from external power. 

Also note that the BIOS has a setting to allow the battery to communicate the remaining time left to the operating system.

HP Recommended

hello you all,

thanks so much for the many responses (124 and still counting)!! Didn't really expect this "hype" but it clearly shows that this actually IS a problem (no matter what HP says), not only for my (older) version (HP Spectre x360 - 13-4101no "Energy star", i5-6200 CPU, 8 GB RAM & 256 GB SSD). 

Unfortunately still no decent response from HP :HalfEyes:

But! It looks like the problem actually CAN be solved! I basically ran all updates available on the HP website (like f1fan said, the Support Assistant doesn't usually provide any but there were several on the website) and it worked for me! 0% discharge in > 24h.

Unfortunately I don't know exactly which update did the trick so I'm not a big help I'm afraid, but I can only recommend you to have a look at the available updates for your specific model on HP's site - maybe (hopefully!) it'll help!!

I really hope things will work out well for all of you - at least it seems like some solutions begin to emerge!!

(to elusivedream: Swedish support SUCKS! I called them and they said this was normal!! (and then offered me 100 SEK (which is about 10 $) as a compensation for my discomfort... of course to be spent on an HP product... Are you kidding me?!)

HP Recommended

Well wouldn't you know it... Just like what f1fan did, I updated the HP QHD Touchscreen Controller Firmware Update and after 24 hours and with my USB mouse transceiver plugged in, my battery is still at 100%. 

I'll see after 48 hours if there is any battery drain. 

Cheers!

HP Recommended

Great.  I hope your issue is fixed.  

For the record, I believe you laptop is model 13-4193nr.  This model has the high end QHD display.  

My laptop is the newer model, 13-W023dx.  It has a lower resolution display.  I would be leary of trying the QHD driver to the model I have.  

HP Recommended

My laptop is HP Spectre x360 - 13-w023dx, I updated all driver in this http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Spectre-13-w000-x360-Convertible-PC/12499178/mode...

Bios 10, Usb charging is on with no USB mouse transceiver plugged in, i used a bluetooth mouse.

But it still drain when shut down, 0.5 % per hour, and there is no HP Touchscreen Controller Firmware Update for the late 2016 version.

Hope HP will fix the late 2016 version too, it is a very nice laptop, and i love it very much ❤️

Sorry, my English is not good.

HP Recommended
Try out the Sphinx fix explained in previous pages. It worked for my late 2016 7th gen i7 16gb ram x360 model to reduce the battery drain.
HP Recommended

There is a new BIOS ver for late 2016, F.11 Rev.A, Release date Nov 22, I have just installed it. Hope it works. I will check battery after next 12 hours and let you know my finding.

If it still drains, I will install the Sphinx fix, thanks you very much Rajamahal

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.