Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My experience was exactly the same , and I came to the same conclusion.

HP Recommended

On a side note, if you purcahsed your x360 from best buy (model# 13-w023dx) which is the i7 7750, 16gn, 512mb model, it went on sale today for $1149. I purchased it back in early Nov and since the return period is still in effect (Jan 31st for holiday period [purchases) I was eligible for price matching and got back $150 + tax (paid $1299 + tax originally). Call Best Buy and they will credit you for the price diff from whay you paid. There are other versions of the x360 that are also on sale so check if your model is currently on sale. I love the x360 and with the applied sphinx fix the battery is losing a lot less charge so it's acceptable but I'm hoping that they resolve the problem completely in the near future.

HP Recommended

That's great news. Thanks for letting us know. I got mine when it was on sale for $1199 from the Black Friday sale. I hope I can get the additional $50 back...

HP Recommended
Hey guys, maybe some good news for all of you. Today I had call from HP regarding battery drain (I tried to solve it with them week ago) Guy told me they found solution and they are going to update my computer (new Spectre x360 i7, 8gb, 256gb ssd) But they could not since I returned in meantime. So stay positive.
HP Recommended
Got my $150 back from best buy yesterday. Gotta love holiday return period
HP Recommended

Also have the 13-w023dx, purchased for $1,300 from Best Buy (I did get the $150 credit on Sunday, though). I'm also experiencing unsatisfactory battery drain. Running the latest BIOS update at default settings, but with the performance mode set to balanced (default was performance) within the BIOS, not Windows. Out of the box, Windows was set to go into standby mode for 3 hours before hibernating. I later changed it to go into standby for 1 hour before hibernating. WIth those settings, after 9 hours, it would lose 6% (1.5% loss per hour). As a comparison, my MacBook Air would lose practically nothing, regardless of if it's in standby or if it's totally off.

It seems like everyone who tried the "Sphinx" fix was only testing battery life with the laptop completely off. What about standby times? Even though it boots extremely quickly, getting back to work from standby mode is ultimately faster.

@Rufufu wrote:

Hello

Here is my experience with this problem :

I have the battery drain issue on my 13 x360, i7, SSD 512 GB, 16GB ram, a 10% drain overnight. Then I contacted the hp support, the guy applied the sphinx fix (if you want to download it from hp server, here is the link : ftp://sphinx12:+MG9rp^F@ftp.usa.hp.com, the 7z password is 123 and the procedure is the one that can be found on the method that has been uploaded here before).

After this fix, the drain has been reduced, but it is still here, approx 5% each 48h. I contacted again support, they told me that the case has been escalated to level 2, I am now waiting to be contacted by them.

Anyway, I was being told that a fix is supposed to come via a BIOS update, but no additional info on when, and what exactly is the problem.

At least now we have the files from an official source.

After looking at some of the files, it seems like it's related to the Thunderbolt controller.

I also wonder if what affects the battery in standby / shutdown states can also have a negative effect on actual use times.

HP Recommended

Hi all,

I apply the sphix method and indeed there was an improvement from 15-17% drop after 24 hour to now 3% drop after 24 hour.

I read in some reply to upgrade the BIOS to v.10 instead of v.11.  After applying the fix, my BIOS is still the original v.4

So my question is: do i need to use HP assistant to upgrade the BIOS ( as the message prompt to upgrade BIOS to v.11

Appreciate.

HP Recommended
I sent my PC back to HP for repair. As previously reported the drain while shutdown was reduced to about 0.1 percent per hour. HP reverted my BIOS back to F04 from F 11. So I would not change it until HP comes out with their fix.
HP Recommended

Well, I ended up taking mine back. Like other users, I have the battery drain when shut down. I did call hp tech support, they applied the fix which helped a little bit. The problem was, my batter would then go from 100% to 92% at once. This was after the sphinx fix, disabling usb charging, and some other tweak. Just not willing to be a ginuea pig any longer. This should have never been an issue from a company like this. Guess I'll go back to the macbook pro and try and get used to that new keyboard. Good luck. 

HP Recommended

The power meter going from 100% to 94% is actaully normal.  All of the Surface Books and Surface Pro's(from the 3 on) do the same thing.  I am not sure of the reasoning, but I think it is done to protect the battery from overcharging(and swelling), as the system will not activate the charging circuit above 94 to 96%.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.