Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

today i tried turing on my laptop its a G56. and the hp logo came on after that i got a black screen with a white cursor blinking. now i tried the hard reset that did not work, there are no blinking lights. i also tested the hard drive and memory and everything passed. i also tride f11 system recovery and does nothing just goes to a black sreen again. also a friend of mine has the same exact laptop i tried swapping hard drives to see maybe if it was my computer but his hard drive work fine on my comp. then i put my hard drive in his comp and did the same exact thing, black screen with the white cursor. i dont know whats going on. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

No problem :generic:

If you don't already have one, use another PC to create a Windows 7 Rescue CD.  Download the relevant ISO from the links below.  If you're not sure of the version, the product page for your notebook indicates it was shipped with the 64bit version, so try that first.

Windows 7 32bit

Windows 7 64bit

You should use an application such as ImgBurn to burn the ISO to a CD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here.  Once created, or if you already have this, insert the Rescue CD into the notebook and restart to boot from it.  Select Repair Your Computer and choose the Command Prompt.  When this loads, enter the following commands and hit enter after each one - include spaces as shown.

Bootrec.exe

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

c:

cd boot

attrib bcd -s -h -r

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /RebuildBcd

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

Remove the Rescue CD and try rebooting the notebook.

Let me know how it goes and if there are further error messages, include them with your next post.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended
I think, the problem might be cause by the operation system. Did you try remove system and install a new system ?.
HP Recommended
nope, what im thinking happend is that maybe, it was trying to update overnight and the battery died while it was updating. because when i was on it the day before it was asking me to update now or postpone n i hit postpone. if that is the prob. how could i fix that?
HP Recommended

Hi,

Shut down the notebook.  Tap away at f10 as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Drive and Memory.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

Also post back with the full version of the operating system you're using - ie Windows 7 64bit.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Yes I tried both the hard drive and memory test both passed with no errors. I'm not sure how to figure out what bit I have but product number is x5698ua#aba
HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you double check the Product No. you've posted - this is normally Two letters - Three numbers - Two letters ( ie XE274EA ), you can ignore anything to the right of the #.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Sry. Its XG598UA
HP Recommended

Hi,

No problem :generic:

If you don't already have one, use another PC to create a Windows 7 Rescue CD.  Download the relevant ISO from the links below.  If you're not sure of the version, the product page for your notebook indicates it was shipped with the 64bit version, so try that first.

Windows 7 32bit

Windows 7 64bit

You should use an application such as ImgBurn to burn the ISO to a CD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here.  Once created, or if you already have this, insert the Rescue CD into the notebook and restart to boot from it.  Select Repair Your Computer and choose the Command Prompt.  When this loads, enter the following commands and hit enter after each one - include spaces as shown.

Bootrec.exe

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

c:

cd boot

attrib bcd -s -h -r

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /RebuildBcd

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

Remove the Rescue CD and try rebooting the notebook.

Let me know how it goes and if there are further error messages, include them with your next post.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

okay right now its buring, will this delete any files from my hard drive?

HP Recommended

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH DAVID!!! I thought id never get this fix! 🙂 I Really APPRECIATE!! THXS AGAIN!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.