Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Russ,

I did what you said and removed one of the RAM cards... Just curious what they did next for you?  I just had this happen last night, screen went white then computer wouldnt boot..  you fix worked well but i cant afford to send out my computer as i need it for work..  just curious if they told you what was wrong with the computer and what they fixed.

thanks 

steve

HP Recommended

Mine is doing the same thing, but if I leave it powered on with the black screen it will randomly, on it's own boot up and be fine.  Then all of a sudden I will get a white screen or gray screen with vertical lines then I will have to power it back down.  Then I reboot, and it does nothing.

I have tried the ram slot removal as mentioned previously, but that does not work.   What I do not understand is why would it randomly boot up if the video card is bad?  If anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated.  I'm at my wits end!

HP Recommended

LEDs blink 4 times -- Graphics -- Graphics controller not functional

HP Recommended

Hi Guys,

I have the same problem -- CAPS Lock blinking continuously, no backlit screen, and no BIOS boot screen.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

-- Morris

HP Recommended
flip your laptop, open the back cover, make sure the RAMs are fixed firmly. or better yet remove them, swap them and fix them back again
HP Recommended

I FOUND SOMETHING THAT ACTUALLY WORKED TO FIX THIS!

I've had this same thing happen to me 4 times with my current HP dv4 laptop, AND twice with the HP entertainment laptop that I had previously that I ended up giving to a family member to fix and use. I didn't think it could possibly be common to the brand, and I liked the other aspects of the computer, but... time (and multiple computers) reveals the truth. Black screen, flashing caps / power LEDs

It happened to me again earlier this week, and my computer is finally no longer under Best Buy's protection plan, so I looked for solutions yet again in forums online. I had tried the power drain method, the magic F8 method, and anything else I could find. NOTHING. 

UNTIL... I read one bizarrely simple method. I remember reading it last time I was looking, but dismissed it because it seemed too ridiculous.

The user in the forum had turned on his computer (doing the blackscreen / blinking cap lock thing) and actually wrapped his computer in towels. This led to the computer getting very hot, as the fan and vents can't get the heated air out. He recommended doing this for 20 minute intervals with only the screen exposed, and possibly trying it several times.

Skeptically (but with nothing to lose) I tried this last night. I tried it for 20 minutes with no result (except a lot of heat). So, as recommended, I tried it again for another 20 minutes. Nothing. I woke up this morning, and tried it once more... and I've been working on that computer since that point.  It's apparently magic... like blowing into an 8 bit Nintendo. I worry about the remedy damaging components with excessive heat- something that I thought was possibly causing the original problem, but at this point I am more than satisfied, and I won't have to thrust a broadsword through the casing.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem with an HP G61-632NR laptop and I opened it up and reseated the CPU but that did not help. When I read your post about using the towels I realized that you basically reflowed the solder for the CPU socket on the motherboard. Since I already had the system opened I just unplugged the fan and started up the laptop and left a 10 minute timer but I was busy online and just silenced the timer and forgot about the laptop. When I did check it back...probably 20-30 minutes later the laptop was off. I suppose there might be some sort of thermal shut off circuitry. I left the laptop to cool off and then when I powered it back on it works! I'm not sure how long this fix will actually last since the CPU socket really needs to be properly reflowed. 

HP Recommended
Hi, Russ.

Thanks for your input. That did it for me. One slot down, one to go.
HP Recommended
Hey guys.. I had the same issue today.. Did everything as u all advised... But didn't work.. I found out another way to fix this... Remove the RAM and the little CMOS battery.. Then turn on the laptop and leave it for a min... Turn off the laptop again and connect the battery and the RAM and switch on the laptop.. It worked for me 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi...

just remove Ram and clean it Ram slot and fix it again...also clean dust

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.