Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Probook 4530s (Core i7) connected to HP USB Media Docking Station.

24" Viewsonic monitor attached to the docking station

I have had this for 1 month now, and four times the display has failed. I uninstalled the usb device, but rebooting only told me what  I already knew, that a usb device was not working properly.  I downloaded and installed the latest video drivers for the docking station, but still no video.

When is HP going to FIX THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????

Or, is the only "solution" for us to restore our laptops every day to just like they came out of the box? There is a huge problem somewhere between the ATI software and the USB Display Link. Within Catalyst Control Center my secondary display doesn't even show up! The only thing that shows up is a vga display--which is not connected to anything--because the Docking Station is supposed to be doing that job!

Audio works.

My wireless mouse and usb keyboard work.

Ethernet works.

Video DOES NOT!

I am frustrated the HP cheapened their laptops. My previous latop (ZD8000) worked great with it's docking station--but that used a special connection from the laptop to the docking station. The new system is a failure.

HP Recommended

I just wasted an hour chatting with two HP techs. The only reponse I got was, "I'm sorry, you are talking to the wrong person!"  TWO TIMES IN THE SAME CHAT SESSION!!!!  It's my fault I guess!

HP is offering almost zero support for this. I am disappointed.

HP Recommended

I finally got an answer...........

"Your USB Media Docking Station is out of warranty."

I feel so much better now.

HP Recommended

That's true. They don't have a solution. They are not working on a solution. i have been working on this problem since the day I bought a fleet of Laptops with Docking Stations and the only response I get is when there is a cuss word on this website. Outside of that I get no love after having spent over $150,000 on office equipment. Dell is looking pretty good on my next 3 yr life cycle loop on my products. No loyalty to customers. that's truly heartbreaking, especially in this business.

HP Recommended

The gentleman in India told me I could purchase a brand new one, which is the only "support" HP is offering. I guess I'll be looking at a competitors product before I get suckered into another one of these. It's too bad, HP could blow the competition out of the water if they wanted to. My Notebook is GREAT. This Docking station is AWFUL.

HP Recommended

I "fixed" it myself.

1. Uninstall USB device

2. Reboot

3. Watch USB device reinstall with errors, doesn't work

4. Download newest Dispaly Link software http://www.displaylink.com/support/downloads.php

5. Uninstall USB device again

6. Unplug power adapter for USB Media Docking Station

7. Physically disconnect the USB Media Docking Station from the base and the Notebook

8. Reattach USB Docking Station to base and Notebook

9. Reattach power adapter for Docking Station

10. Wait for USB device to install

11. Install latest Display Link software

12. Reboot

13. Voila' USB Media Docking Station is now sending video signal to monitor, in spite of the only help from HP technician was to buy a new one.

Not a single one of the above solutions was even hinted at by the so-called help I chatted with for an hour.  And, HP, the Session ID is 18654193.

HP Recommended

I tried that too. it was cool for about a week and then did the same old thing. Just a random freeze and then I was screwed. I "fixed" it by unplugging my Docking Station. And then taking a Sledge Hammer to it.

HP Recommended

Sorry that you get those bluescreens. I have not had any. My only problem with the Display Link setup is screen display. When I have the unit undocked for a period of time, I get no response form the external monitor, even after a log off. I have to reboot. Does your do that too? :Crying:

HP Recommended

I found that I needed to update the Display Link software and that helped end the blue screens. For the most part it works much better now. Unfortunately HP does not seem to update that software automatically, I have to find the updates and install them manually.

HP Recommended

This is the 1st time I've logged onto this site and was initially happy to see that people were having the "blue screen freeze-up" problem because of  HP's USB docking station, anticipating I'd find a clear, simple way to solve the issue.  I've always liked HP products, but not it's lack of solutions to everyday problems like this.  I'm still somewhat of a tech novice, but now know my way around pretty well.  I've spent the last 3 days thinking a recent download of Microsoft's Office 365 and DriveOne service was causing my Pavillion to white out and shut down after a complete data dump.  

I saw one possible solution proposed by a kind-hearted HP employee a few pages back, but noted that it was rather complicated and only provided one person with a temporary respite from white outs.   Since I believe I've reached the most recent "comment" re this problem and am weighing in nearly 2 years after the last frustrated customer gave up his or her quest for a simple fix, I'm assuming my docking station is simply headed for the trash heap.  If anyone reads this and has found a workable remedy (or notes that I've overlooked one previously posted, I'd appreciate finding out about it.  In terms of aesthetics and basic physical structure, this docking station is a great idea, but the idea of an integrated media station with USB replicators and independent drivers is what finally prompted me to purchase the entire system 2-3 years ago.  Therefore, I'd like to keep using it, as I've been pleasantly surprised that HP has improved it's installation software packages and perennial problems providing basic services since the new CEO took over, I'd been planning on sticking with HP until I discovered this whiteout problem--discovering a prompt, easy solution might keep me in that mindset.

Thanks,

dools107

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.