Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine recieved this laptop recently from his business that was shutting down, and has been having issues with it. I said I would have a look, but even i'm stumped.

Upon booting the computer up, it loads past BIOS and then displays this error:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I know how this error works and I know how to fix it, but unfortunately that's not the real problem.

I have a Windows setup disk ready to reinstall or repair the operating system, but the problem is that the laptop boots straight from hard disk, not from CD, and i'm unable to change it because I cannot access the BIOS.

I've tried multiple key configurations and it just will not boot into BIOS. It just attempts to boot straight into Windows no matter what keys I try. I've tried the F1-F12 keys, the delete key, CTRL+ALT, and the FN key in combination with the F1-F12 keys, and nothing.

As I cannot access the BIOS, I cannot change the boot order, which means at this point we're stuck with a dud machine as it just will not read CD's, only the hard drive.

Does anyone have any idea on how to get into the BIOS to change the boot order so I can get this up and running?

Thank you for your time.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

hi,

to enter bios setup press F10 while laptopr starts. Also U can press Esc to display start up menu and then choce bios setup.

U can check boot sequence in Bios and set optical drive at top of the list.

Or U can press F9 while starting laptop to force boot order menu and there chose optical drive to boot from it.

Still if it wont boot check DVD with system U have is it booting properly on another machine to ensure software is ok.

There's also small posibility that optical drive in Ur laptop is used up to much and wont boot anymore.

let me know is it helped:)

P.S. if U cant enter to bios really any way try external keyboard - maybe Urs internal is somehow defected. If not it may be a problem with system board CMOS or keyborad controler

_____________ _ _ _
click on Kudos if i helped U 😄
HP Recommended

Thank you, the external keyboard worked.

Unfortunately, it seems the BIOS has a password.. so I still can't change the boot order. Oh dear.

Is there a default BIOS password or am I unfortunately up the creek?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

unluckly theres no default bios password, onlyone U can create by Ureslf in bios or using HP protect tools aplication.

U can try to restore pwd by remowing RTC battery from system board but this method is rare and works only for older laptop models. Also U can contact HP support for help with pwd. They have tools to take it of if Bios revision version is newer than Aplir 2010.

_____________ _ _ _
click on Kudos if i helped U 😄
HP Recommended

hello all

My first time here. its a situation which I do nto know what to do.

A few days ago. I switched on my laptop. and the screen froze. I spent all day restarting and it never changed.

I then decied that maybe I should reboot the system. So, of course I pressed F9( at the start ).

However, this started to work (check the HHD ). But then it got stuck on the 2 to 3 level o 13% is this signiifcant perhaps?

Anyway, I do not know how o get rid of the reboot function (F9). And about the freezing. Usually my firend is able to do that but cleaning the HD and giving it back tome refreshed like new.

This time he is too busy and will not be able to until 2 wks time. This is murderous for me without my one and only laptop. This is why ia m hgere doing my best to find a solution. without paying throught the nose.

I have no technical ability whatsoever, However willing to give it a go. Should anyone know how to resolve this 2 issues.

Summary: Screen froze . F9 to reboot system. Got stuck on 2 to 3level through rebooting. Now everything I open it, its starts and stopes on 13%...

Then the is the issue of cleaning the HD which i have been told is laborious and can be done...Well I have no idea how.. and where to begin.

Thank you for reading

Charlie

Any help wil be much aprreciated

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.