Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello, i wonder if it's possible to upgrade the i3-350M to a i7-720QM.

Specs:

HP G62-b13SL

Installed cpu i3-350M

MOBO Model 143A

BIOS: F.48

The chipset (H55) should be fine..i tried install the 720QM but seems it doesn't work, should i change the bios to F.35 or it wont work?

More:

Win 7 64-bit

6gb ram

Ati HD 5470

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The maximum processor you can nstall according to the service manual is the i7-620M dual core.

You normally need a different motherboard for the quad core processors--even though they fit in the dual core MB socket.

Dual core processors go in dual core motherboards, and quad core processors go in quad core motherboards and you can't put a dual core processor in a quad core motherboard (not that you would want to), or visa versa.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi:

The maximum processor you can nstall according to the service manual is the i7-620M dual core.

You normally need a different motherboard for the quad core processors--even though they fit in the dual core MB socket.

Dual core processors go in dual core motherboards, and quad core processors go in quad core motherboards and you can't put a dual core processor in a quad core motherboard (not that you would want to), or visa versa.

HP Recommended
Thanks a lot
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

The only problem here is that intel core 720qm has no built-in graphics system. User can install any mobile processor that si supported by socket (rPGA988), chipset (HM55) and has built-in graphics. core i5-540m, core i7-620m, core i7-640m.
The specification in manual shows only what cpu's were used by HP in this laptop.

HP Recommended

I do not believe you can install a quad core processor in a dual core motherboard despite them having the same socket.

So, installing an i-7 720QM processor in a dual core motherboard such as what the G62-b13SL, will result in the notebook not booting.

HP Recommended

i told, that such processors as i7-720 QM will not work in this motherboard. And if you look to the specification for HM55 chipset you can see that i7-640m and i7-620m processors (i think the best that can be installed here) are dual-core. so, a haven't tell anything about quad-core in such motherboard

HP Recommended

Either I can't read english or you can't write it.

I don't know how one interprets "The only problem here is that intel core 720qm has no built-in graphics system," means you were saying it is not supported.

Also, unless you know for a fact that the i7-640M will indeed work (and I'm not saying it absolutely will not), you can't just say that what is listed in the manual is only what processors HP used in the notebook.

There are differences in the microcodes, and unless the BIOS has the microcode for the 640M (or there is a BIOS update which adds support), it will error out.

Not only must the chipset support the processor but so must the BIOS.

HP Recommended

Core i7-620m is mentioned in official documentation as supported cpu. And only difference between it and 640m is operational frequency. Why will not it work here? You can find bios updates on the official site of HP or look on other resources

HP Recommended

I said twice that 720QM will not work here and your speak about it again))

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.