Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad the experiment worked and that your notebook is performing better.

Maxing out the memory will also help significantly.

HP Recommended

hi,

yes a online shop is 2 x 2gb kingston hyperX on offer so i got some ordered today.

i also have an 120gb SSD that i no linger use in my pc so i may do a reinstall and use that i need to way up the ods, because i have a lot of stuff on the laptop

HP Recommended

With the better processor, 4 GB of memory and a SSD, that notebook ought to work real nice!

HP Recommended

I may also need a 12 cell battery. the CPU use's a little more power

HP Recommended

There is only one supported battery listed (see chapter 3 page 3-6 of the service manual link I posted above).

Battery, 6-cell, 2.20-Ah, 47-Wh  HP Part # 485041-001

HP Recommended

there is a non official one, it as all the right specs but just 10,400 mAh insted of the stock 4700mAh

with the old cpu my stock battery lasted over an hour, but now it will under 40 minits. the 12 cell should get me 2 hour's

HP Recommended

Wow.

I didn't think that upgrading the processor would cause a drain on the battery like that.

I mean it wasn't that huge of an upgrade.

Your old processor and the new one have the same wattage and voltage specs too.

HP Recommended

yes but.

t1600 uses 7.7w in sleep state and 56w under load.

t3400 uses 9.1w in speed state and 75w under load.

and to be fair the CPU fan is running a lot more so it may be running under load for some reason. it may calm down when i do a fresh install of the OS and all programs

one thing i know because of building my pc's is that the max TDP is a total scam as you can see there both 35w CPU's but both use will over that under load.

HP Recommended

Very interesting.

You know more about this than I do.

Maybe the processor has to "burn in" some more, so the new thermal bond improves.

If so, the fan should kick on less.

HP Recommended

hi,

i did a full reinstall of windows, dropped the display brightness to 60%, and dropped CPU usage to 50% when on battery and i have found a massive improvement in battery lift.

SSD makes the little old laptop kick ass..

ones again i would like to think you for your help with the cpu and ram info, you have been a star.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.