Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP G56
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Can I modify the factory installation cd to remove all the unwanted software and install the updates to it to avoid having to do all this when I reinstall the OP?

I've used nLite for XP and I know this could be done with RT Se7en Lite... however as the recovery cds are in 4 discs how would I be able to do this?

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended
Hi Mike,

There used to be Minimized Image Recovery which removes all partitions, reformats the entire hard drive, reinstalls the original Windows 7 operating system and hardware drivers.

Minimized Image Recovery does not reinstall the trial applications and games.

I am not sure this option would be there when you do recovery from external recovery media.

See this:
http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01867418

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

I was hoping I could pick and choose what software I wanted, is there anyway I could get a fresh copy of windows 7 from maybe the recovery cds I have or somewhere else and download slipstream all the drivers onto the installation and burn the disc?

HP Recommended

Recovery media is not available for download from anywhere.

But you can clean install Windows 7, see Paul Tikkanen's suggestion here:
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/want-windows-7-back/m-p/5926128

Additional drivers you may have to download from your HP support page.
HP Recommended

thank you!

the windows activation key on the bottom of the laptop on the sticker has faded(some parts) how would i get that retreived?

HP Recommended

No way I know of getting it than from COA sticker itself.

You could read this:
https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/153626-product-key-number-windows-7-find-see.html

HP Recommended

Thank you,

If I was to read the number from that sticker, would I be able to use that number to activate a fresh clean copy of windows 7?

plus, i've already done my 4 back up discs(only allowed one set) is there anyway I could create another pair? like maybe doing a copy of the recovery partition or something?

and also does it matter if I get the N version of the download or just the SP1 COEM version?

HP Recommended

Yes you would be able to use it to activate clean install of Windows 7.

No you cannot create Recovery media again in any manner.

Try the version that is suitable. I'll go with SP1 COEM first.
HP Recommended

thank you, i've downloaded all the drivers I can see, but RT seven lite need .inf files but the intel chipset installation utility has loads of .inf files. I've extracted all the .exe driver files to get the .inf's.

Even the  Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver doesn't have any .inf in it, how do i go about sorting this?

plus what drivers do i need?

HP Recommended

What is the full model name, product number of your laptop?

Did you install Windows 7 exact version, that came with laptop from factory?

Did you download drivers from your HP support page?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.