Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv4 1318tu
Linux

I can see BIOS update available for my laptop but currently i have Linux installed hence i cannot run HP software / Tools to apply the update.

I have downloaded the executable and i have bootable FreeDOS USB.

My doubt is "Can we update BIOS by executing the downloaded exe file in FreeDOS"

If yes what would be the steps and should i take any precautions.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can only flash the BIOS using the supported Windows Based BIOS flash for the supported Windows Operating system.

There are no DOS flash files you can install independent of the Windows installer.

Bottom line:  If you want to flash the BIOS you must install Windows 7.

HP Recommended

I know this is an old post but someone else may come looking for the answer.  The actual answer is "maybe" and it depends on the HP model.  HP has an excellent explanation of updating the BIOS in the BIOS Flash Q&A document you can find here.  If your HP BIOS supports F10 flashing then you just need the bin file from the BIOS update.  Download the BIOS update and extract files from the downloaded exe using Archive Manager (Linux) or 7zip (Linux or Windows).  Find the bin file (might be in the DOS Flash folder) and place it on the root directory of a USB stick.  Reboot the computer and enter setup through F10 then FILE - FLASH SYSTEM ROM - and point to your USB stick.  I just did this on a HP dc7800 workstation and it worked great.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.