Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
notebook pavilion 17

Suspected a virus so wiped out wndows and have now dual boot win 8.1 and ubuntu 16.04 LTS. my Bios version use to be F.34 so i uddated the BIOS, along with all drivers, few days ago.

While i was working on the laptop it started restarting without any prompt, so i manualy forced it to shut down by keeping the on/off button pressed. I run Malwarebytes and spybot and have Kaspersky total security running all times and done several scans but nothing would come up with anything exept some ask-toolbar left files which i deleted already using MBAM/spybot.

since i reinstalled win/linux my time clock is forward by exactly one hour in windows, and exactly one hour backward in ubuntu. both OS are correctly displaying the date. Of course i checked the time zone and resynced time  through windows time auto update but yet once i reboot the system the clock changes back in windows again. I also checked the bios but i notice it is effected by the windows clockupdate; it gets correctedmessed up by windows time sync and once windows clock is correct bios is correct then once i notice windows is not correct timed if i reboot and check bios: the bios is also not correct.

Checking windows events logger i noticed a quite reoccuring wlan error, however my wlan-card is alright and internet is fine. However i installed all available wlan drivers on my hp-support-page which are: broadcom 802.11n, realtek and intel 802.11n; non gave an error.

I have spent a lot of time in the last days trying to fix this and i am running out of time. I think my bios might have a virus or win/ubuntu. I would realy appreciate your help.

NB: my ubuntu clock is off one hour before connecting to internet, but soon i connect it gets corrected again.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

This is a known problem in dual boot ubuntu/windows and has to do how time is stored and recognized in both systems. You need to change one of the systems, Here is link to article that deals with this. There are many articles online since it is well known problem.

http://www.webupd8.org/2014/09/dual-boot-fix-time-differences-between.html

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Thanks. I was not aware of this dual-boot problem. I tried to fix it from within ubuntu but it doesnt seem to be solved yet. Windows is now 1 hour forward. I guess it might be the ntp clock, i am still trying to find out more about this. I found a link in the site you sent me to which i  think is more trustworthy and explains the problem in more detail and how to solve it:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuTime#Multiple_Boot_Systems_Time_Conflicts

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.