Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have the Compaq 610 Notebook PC (p/n: NX540EAxxxx). I would be interested in knowing whether I can upgrade my current processor, which is an Intel Celeron 560, to the Intel Core 2 Duo T5870 processor?

Based on some information online; namely HP support forums as well as HP online information, it seems that this upgrade would be possible (see for example links below).

Compaq 610 Notebook PC - Overview: 

HP Support forum thread:

However, when I looked into the Compaq 610 Notebook PC quickspecs (see link below), it says on page 4 that this upgrade is dependent on the chipset my computer has, i.e. it has to have either the GME965 or the PM965 Intel Express Chipset in order to be able to function.

Compaq 610 Notebook PC - Quickspecs:

As I have disassembled my Compaq 610 at the moment, I cannot check the chipset in Windows. However, the spare part for the motherboard says 538407-001, which to me indicates that this would be the GLE960 chipset, thus not compatible with the Intel Core 2 Duo T5870 processor.

E.g. Compaq 610 Notebook - spare parts site (see link below) indicates that the spare part 538407-001 is a GL type system board, thus to me indicating that it is the GLE960 Intel Express Chipset. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Compaq 610 Notebook - spare parts:

However, because not all HP information sources say that this upgrade is dependent on the chipset, could you please clarify the situation for me, i.e. is the upgrade possible in my case?

Thank you for your help in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You have done an excellent job. Yes, the Celeron models of that series use a different motherboard than the C2D models. The Celeron boards, based on the GLE960 chipset do not have circuitry to enable speed stepping and other advanced functions of the better processors. I have seen reports that C2D processors will work on that board, but the functionality will be crippled. I would try to find one of the 965 boards. You should be able to find one pretty cheap. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

You have done an excellent job. Yes, the Celeron models of that series use a different motherboard than the C2D models. The Celeron boards, based on the GLE960 chipset do not have circuitry to enable speed stepping and other advanced functions of the better processors. I have seen reports that C2D processors will work on that board, but the functionality will be crippled. I would try to find one of the 965 boards. You should be able to find one pretty cheap. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.