Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Compaq cq58
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hi, I have a compaq cq58 laptop (that's the only part of model I can find out) it originally had Windows 8 but upgraded to Windows 10 and has 4gb ram. At the moment it has a ralink rt5390 wifi card fitted, and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what dual band cards will work? I posted this in another forum and someone replied saying I needed to be more specific with the model, but in the case it just says cq58. All I now is it has an Intel processor and a ralink rt5390 card fitted (might be 5390r?). It seems that HP have a whitelist built into the bios which limits what cards will work, but looking through he service manual online, I've only found instructions how to remove it. Can anyone help? At the very least I'd like a dual band one, but basically I'd like to try and fit highest spec possible. If someone could even tell me how and what details are needed in regards to the model that will help and also where to find this 'whitelist'

It seems there are mods you can do to the bios to remove the whitelist, which I may consider. But if here's a card that'll just fit and work, then happy days. Failing that, can anyone provide me with a general email adress? As he HP one asks for the model number and when I enter "cq58" it says there's lots of models with that letters and numbers. I'm going round in circles. The only thing I have managed to find it, is what memory upgrades I can do thru the crucial memory scanner.
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

It will really help to have the model number. Open the battery compartment and look in there or follow these instructions:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c00033108

I think this may be your Service Manual:

Manual

See p. 19 for a list of compatible wireless cards. It has to be not only the correct type of card but also an HP Part number piece. That is the result of the whitelist. You can try to find modded BIOS or try to modify the BIOS, but good luck. 

This is probably the best "stock" wireless card:

Atheros HB125 802.11b/g/n 1×1 WLAN module 675794-001

That is assuming you do not have Bluetooth. This one has BT built in:

Atheros AR9565 802.11b/g/n 1×1 WiFi + BT4.0 Combo Adapter 690019-001

http://www.amazon.com/ProBook-Atheros-AR5B125-802-11b-675794-001/dp/B00ME8O3JA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qi...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.