cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
kbrackson Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Computer won't boot or motherboard won't beep

hp envy
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have a windows 8 laptop, that does not boot and for all intents and purposes I believe is dead. It powers on and fan spins, charges battery(though because of age, Ill have to get a new one anyway)

I don't remember the exact model # so I can't remember whether or not it even has bluetooth capability

my steps so far:

-replaced screen

-no problems with either hard drive, system files fully intact, i backed them up on my current laptop, and they spin via usb

-all necessary lights come on upon plugging in, battery charges, and the fan spins

-i alternated the ram sticks, one after the other, nothing.

-i removed the cd rw drive, nothing

- i disconnected nearly every pci/e that wasn't soldered in.

-i attempted to boot with no ram or hard drives in tact- working hard drives don't spin on boot

-no beeps from motherboard

-tried to connect motherboard to usb mouse, to external monitor via hdmi/dvi(and forgot to ground first, so that was fun)

-haven't tried a multimeter because i wouldn't know whichcomponent would need what

-haven't replaced cmos 

so i figured all was lost. and last night(unrelated) i was trying to pair a bluetooth device to my phone when I had left the battery in the housing/motherboard. And what do you know? In the list, I see a WIN8HPENVY.

This has me more confused as ever, is it possible for it to emit a bluetooth signal when nothing else is working?

Normally I'd toss it but what can I say? I'm sentimental and it has some sick stuff on board, i7, 8gb ram, the doc dre beats. I'd love to at least salvage it as a server or something but I'm not going to invest anymore than I already have. I paid the genius Geeksquad to diagnose it $100 to be told it needs a new screen and another $100 to find the genuine spare. 

That all said,

1) Is it possible for a sleeping computer to emit a bluetooth signal?

2) Is it possible to remove any of the components from the motherboard and add them to one of the mini computers out there if I got daring with my soldering tool?

3) If it is fubar, then what parts should I sell off to try to recoup my loss?

😞

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Provost Provost
Provost
41,098 39,574 6,155 10,680
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Computer won't boot or motherboard won't beep

No the computer must boot to the OS before bluetooth is activated. I am not sure there are any parts from a dead laptop that can be sold. That new screen would sell on eBay for about $55.  I am intrigued however that Geek Squad thought it was the screen when all signs point to the motherboard. Have you tried an external monitor? Of course you have. I am not sure this post is on the level to be honest. 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation