Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Remi,

I didn't realize you were in France--sorry.  I just got an Acer Aspire laptop back from the shop with a new gpu installed--fixed the black screen, failed P.O.S.T. problem.  I'm sure that's what is wrong with your DV6; or the motherboard itself is bad.

I have no idea what it would cost you to ship the laptop (minus battery) to the States, and back; but this last repair cost $80 plus $18 to ship it back to me.  This should give you a good idea of what the problem is and what it should cost to get it fixed.  He can replace the entire motherboard for about $100 plus return shipping.

It might still be worth your while to return it to the States, as not all repair shops are set up or have the equipment to repair/replace the gpu.  Let us know what you find out.

HP Recommended

Ok... So I've literally had nothing but issues with my 

HP Pavilion dv6-6c29wm

from the moment i purchased it last year. Now I shut it down earlier this afternoon and then when i turn it back on to use it again I am greeted With a flashing caps locks key... at first the batter port blinked as well... and instead of being the solid white it usually is... it was a red like the no wifi led. 

they blinked not in cunjuction, first the caps then the plug then the caps then the plug... then after a power reset and a cleaning of the vent as the support site suggested.... now I just have a blinking caps.  jusging from the table I am thinking it is a problem with the board... though it has shown no signs of over heating. For all intensive purposes this came out of no where.  Now what i need to know... is what exactly my problem is and how i can remedy it .... This device was being used mostly for school work.

HP Recommended

This sounds like a power supply issue.  The blinking Caps Lock indicates that the machine is failing post.  I assume there is no video whatsoever.  Does the numlock key also blink in unison with the caps lock?  Orange light on plugin indicates battery charging functions.  White, when charged.  I would concentrate on the caps lock/num lock? lights blinking.  See link below. 

If you know someone with a similar machine, try swapping out the battery with a known good battery; try with just the ac adapter, no battery; try with different known good ac adapter, with or without battery.  Carefully inspect the DC plug that goes into your computer to make sure the end has not been damaged.   

Check this link for some good trouble-shooting, particularly step 3 and the charts below:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01732674

Some good battery/power trouble shooting tips here:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00259897

Google "HP DV6 power jack blinks orange" for some more ideas.

I fear that you have more serious problems than can be solved by trouble shooting.  Read all four pages of this thread.  Motherboard, cpu, gpu overheating problems are frequent with many HP models, including the DV series.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

SOLUTION FOUND:

Hi all,

I've been struggeling with this  problem for a long time..

First solution which worked only 1 time: Remove memory and switch banks!

The second time I encountered this problem, nothing but nothing worked.. I eventually ended up disambling the whole laptop and re-paste the heatsink and cleaning the fan to make sure it wasn't a heating problem.. But also this didn't helped..

I didn't knew what to do next so last step was re-installing the laptop, but pay attention here...

Solution:

Insert bootable Windows CD/DVD, let the install run, then EXIT the install, reboot the laptop and voila!

Note: I've noticed that the problem is caused by the stand-by mode, make sure the laptop doesn't go to stand-by..

HP Recommended

The above solution is not going to work. You can not boot a CD if the CPU has failed and/or their is no video. That is going to do nothing. If the CPU has failed then  the hard drive can't even be accessed.

HP Recommended

Depends on which problem you encounter. I'm regarding to the problem where the lights blink 2 times, referring to a BIOS corruption failure.

My BIOS was up te date even reflashing didn't worked. (downgrading nor upgrading)

Keep in mind that all screen go blank after the error code, if you can see the POST (Power On Self Test) you're videocard is working.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.