Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello

I have Hp pavillion dv6-6140us, has a 64 bit engine and is running windows 7....I wanted to burn iso of windows 8 but my dvd drive is not being able to read blank dvd's but it can read non-empty disc and can also play movies...please help..wanna try win 8 release preview

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following to reinstall the Beats Audio interface.

Download the IDT Audio installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp52501-53000/sp52658.exe

When done, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager and open up Sound, Video and Game Controllers.  Right click the IDT device and select Uninstall - you should also get a prompt to remove the current driver, tick the box to allow this and then proceed with the uninstall.

When complete, restart the notebook and let Windows fully load.  Open your Downloads folder, right click on the IDT installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When this has completed, restart the notebook again.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi,

First, try the automated fixit from Microsoft on the link below.

Windows 7

Check if the drive will now recognise a blank DVD.

If it still isn't, click the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  In to the prompt type the following command and hit enter.

sfc /scannow                 ( note that there is a space between sfc and the / )

Let the process complete, then type exit and hit enter. 

Next, click the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.  Next click to open DVD/CD-ROM Drives.  Right click the drive and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.  When the device has uninstalled click on the 'Scan for Hardware Changes' icon ( usually just below Help on the toolbar ).  Let windows reinstall the drive and see if it now recognises a blank DVD.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

ummm..i tried everything...the command prompt verification stops at 9%. It says 'Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation.'

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try following the procedure under the sub-heading 'Let me fix it myself' on the link below to remove the Upper and Lower filters ( if either entry exists ) and see if this helps the issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Both entry(upper and lower filters) didn't exist

Thank you for the very quick replies

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome :generic:

Can you let me know what software you are using to burn the Windows 8 image?

Also, unless you have already tried this, download and install ImgBurn and check if this is able to detect a blank disc.  If it does, try burning the ISO with this utility - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here.

Best regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hello there

Umm i tried, it "Device not ready(Medium not present - tray closed)". So basically the blank dvd was not read. Then i tried using a bootable usb, but it failed to install saying that win 8 cannot be installed in a dynamic disk. As i don't have hp recovery disk I didn't take risk of converting dynamic to basic disk...Though i have finally istalled win 8 in virtual box, I am having trouble with the resolution and cannot fix it even with the command prompt.

Anyways thanx for giving ur time...appreciate it. Windows 8 looks promising...and is there a way to order recovery disk??i live in india

HP Recommended

Hi,

You should be able to order a replacement set of Recovery Discs using the link below.

Order HP Recovery Discs.

However if you have any problem with the above or just want another option, if you have access to another PC, you can create your own Windows 7 installation disc as follows.

Before trying the following, make sure you can still read the Activation key on your Windows COA label ( 5 blocks of 5 alpha/numeric sets ).

First, click the Start Menu, open Computer and double-click Local Disk C - you should see a folder called swsetup.  This will contain all the driver installers and practically all of the software installers for your notebook - back this up to an external device.

You can create an installation disc yourself using another PC - just download the correct Disc Image from the link below - ( This must be the same as the version your notebook came with ie if your notebook came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit this is the exact retail version you would need to download ) and use an application such as ImgBurn to burn the ISO correctly to a blank DVD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here.  These Images are clean and from a well-respected source, however there are only limited versions available.

Windows-7 sp1-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit

Use the disc to perform the installation, enter the Windows activation key found on the COA Label when requested and when the installation has completed, use the 'Phone Method' detailed in the link below to activate the OS - this method supported by Microsoft and is popular with people who just want a clean installation of Windows 7 without the additional software load normally bundled with OEM installations.

http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/how-to-activate-windows-7-by-phone.aspx

Any additional drivers and software you may need can be found Here.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hello,

The thing is i've already crashed my laptop before i got to create recovery disk.  I am currently using the exact version of windows as original. Everything is working fine except for the beats audio, the wifi is not working(i am using the ethernet cable) and blank dvd won't be read...and my win 8 is running smoothly now

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following to reinstall the Beats Audio interface.

Download the IDT Audio installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp52501-53000/sp52658.exe

When done, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager and open up Sound, Video and Game Controllers.  Right click the IDT device and select Uninstall - you should also get a prompt to remove the current driver, tick the box to allow this and then proceed with the uninstall.

When complete, restart the notebook and let Windows fully load.  Open your Downloads folder, right click on the IDT installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When this has completed, restart the notebook again.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.