Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I haven't been able to reply to the customer service rep for months because work has made it impossible for me to be without my laptop, but I would like everyone to know I've finally responded. I will let you know how my process goes, but I do expect to get it replaced in some form or another as I cannot afford to buy a new laptop at this time.

It deeply saddens me that over the months I have seen that this thread has still been active and people still struggle to get the service for the laptops they purchased when it is clearly seen as a design flaw by the company. I also can't afford to let this laptop go without being repaired any longer as I need to travel more with it and the hinges are too weak to just open and close it as I should be able to freely do with any other laptop.

HP Recommended

I've had the exact same problem for months, but I always thought it's just me. Now I see that it's a widespread problem and due to defective hinges.

What can I do now? My warranty expired way back, does HP take care of this issue for free or they're going to charge me?!

Thanks

HP Recommended

If you look back at all the messages you'll see that this is an ongoing problem. Some people have taken it upon themselves tto attempt repairs. I had sent a message to Huffer and he sent me a link to download the manual to repair the hinges. It's only been three months and the repair is holding, although I did not replace any parts. The cost for a new hinge and other parts make it almost appropriate to just buy another computer. I think HP charges $30 just for the rubber feet.  Maybe a Dell or Toshiba but that's your choice.

I had no luck with getting HP to repair my computer, even though my extended warranty was only a few months expired.

So my suggestion is look back at the messages for some messages from Huffer and see if you can find the one with the link or drop him a note and I'm sure he will offer assistance.

HP Recommended

@sarang_d77

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you so much Pamolin.

I guess I'll try to fix it myself.

HP Recommended
Thank you for posting. I have been through this twice now. So angry!
HP Recommended

I received an email requesting more information, and then I got a call from an HP rep who had looked into my situation. She said because my laptop was just barely out of warranty they would do a courtesy repair. I received a box and pre-paid label yesterday and we sent it off today. I'm happy with how HP has handled it at this point. It sounds like it's taken some time to come around, but I think the number of posts about this problem is having an impact.

HP Recommended
Mine was 3 1/2 months out of warrenty and this is the 2nd hp envy of mine to do this, and they wouldn't do anything. When i said this is a common problem with HP Envys the rep snapped back "do you believe everything you read in the internet". Just ignorant!!
HP Recommended

I have recieved my laptop back, and boy was it a struggle and I still have a grievance with HP.

I'll clear up a few things first before going into my timeline.

My rep, Lisa, was in Texas.
The repair center my laptop was sent to was in Indianna.

I am in the Northwestern United States.

September 18th (ish).

When I got a call from the representative who basically had my case the whole way, I was able to bargin down my price to $169.99 USD, a bit lower than the 200 something ( I don't recall the original quote) that I was intially given despite my referencing this forum. The last time I had sent my laptop to be repaired I had sent it to HP, which the rep took into consideration I suppose. Thankfully, when I bought my laptop I had bought a SquareTrade insurance and it was still good (I in fact, timed this all so I could use it before my coverage ended) after 3 years (way out of HP's warranty). I wasn't going to have to pay for this price, and since SquareTrade approved I took the price quote I was offered. I bargined a bit just to see the reaction and how low I could get to compare with everyone else here. I was not able to have it done free of charge by HP, but I did not pay a cent in the end. 

[SquareTrade said they wouldn't pay for shipping but for anyone interested in knowing, HP pays for shipping to and fro for Fedex Next Day Delivery. The most I spent on this process was a bit of time and gas to get to the Fedex drop off.]

September 19th
HP Sends me the order confirmation, sending a box and already taking cash out of my account. I am told the estimated delivery date for my laptop's return is the 29th of September. So, not bad at all.

September 21st

I recieve the box and send my laptop that day.

September 26th

My rep emails me a bit late that my unit had been recieved but I had know this for a few days due to the online tracker. Estimated delivery date is still the 29th.

September 28th

No tracking information has been recieved, I call the rep and ask her why this is. She said sometimes they don't update it right away but she contacts the repair center in Indianna.

September 29th (the day my laptop was to be delivered)

I wake up and look at the repair tracker and see my laptop's estimated delivery date has been moved to October 14th. I, very upset, answer my rep's call (she had been lovely this entire time-- I would like to make it clear my gripe isn't with her, but with HP overall and especially the repair center) which she promised to do and we talked. She looked it up and there was a need to order more parts to fix my laptop. This is understandable, as my laptop is 3 years old at this point, but they could have known this since they had my info prior (my laptop's model, etc.) and didn't notify me or my rep until my rep called the day before the delivery. I have no choice but to accept this and continue on.

A couple of times in early October, my rep emails me to let me know the estimated date is still October 14th. This was appreciated greatly.

October 11th
I'm nervous about the repair not finishing as estimated again and email the rep, asking her to check in on the repair center herself.

October 12th

My rep calls me with great news! My laptop will be delivered the next day, a day early than estimated.

October 13th

I recieve my laptop. My rep calls and asks me to check it (I didn't have the time to open it right away) and I did. I say it's in good condition, however don't turn it on. I also noticed that while my keyboard was still a bit worn, a spot where my hand rubs had been spraypainted over and a mark from a clipboard that chiped the paint on the side had been covered up. That was probably one of the more plesant surprises. I'd also like to note the fan is much quieter than it's been in years. I'm gonna guess they cleaned a bit of the inside too.

When I open it up the laptop hinges are great and no longer pulling away and there were 2 replacements done according to the the sheet. Oddly, they sent me a slip saying they transferred my data to a new harddrive that is not documented in the repair nor did I give my consent (I had already backed up my stuff personally). This is mind boggling to me. What is that the slip of the repair information is done on the 10th of October. This means they had ample time in September to inform me that they didn't have the parts and just had my laptop there for a while. This was frustrating but not as frustrating as what I discovered next.

Then I notice on the left side of my screen a black dot. I think it's some dirt so it rub my finger aginst it and it doesn't move. I start to wonder if it's dead pixels, but looking at the deep color it looks pure black (as well as three dimensional) and it's not formed as they normally would be. I turn off my laptop to see that it's a bit of debris, and that it is in fact brown when not illuminated.

https://s11.postimg.org/9c9smagtf/2016_10_13_15_39_11.jpg

https://s17.postimg.org/iat3uyarj/2016_10_13_15_39_52.jpg

This was not there when I sent out my laptop.

I email my rep saying there is stuff there and she replies that "In correcting the hinge there is a chance that a bezzel around the display slipped, and it dislodged any debris that may have been in the top of the computer."

Which is totally sound, but why was it there in the first place? The screen is completely sealed and I have not once opened it up. Like I said, the only other time the computer had been repaired was by HP themselves. So, this is a manufacturing issue or something the repair center brought on.

If this was a piece of plastic in between the screen and the glass I'd be far more angry, since this is a touchscreen device and a scratch could cause some damage I don't want to deal with.

October 14th (today)
I told her I had no intention of sending it back to HP, citing I'd rather take it somewhere locally at this point because I needed my laptop for work and it was easier to simply get it done locally. My rep then said said that  "If you take it in and send my the receipt I will see about getting you either the refund for the repair of the refund for the debris issue ( if its reasonable) " So I could spend money on getting this minor thing that should not have been there in the first place fixed and maybe get my money back, or just live with it.

While looking at the speck infuriates me because it reminds me of all the trouble with communication that HP's repair center seems to have, I'm not sure I want to go through with maybe getting the speck paid for. I don't want to be told it can't be done unless I want to replace the entire screen, in which case I will live with it as long as I have this laptop that I plan on never closing unless I have to take it somewhere for fear of knowing what happens after extended use. I am 98% certain SquareTrade won't want to cover it, but I might try anyway. The worst they can say is no and I just live with this. I can't afford to spend $100+ on cleaning or replacement and I am not confident enough in myself to dismantel the laptop to fix it on my own.

Today I write this post tired from having to deal with all of this. The last time I had my laptop fixed by HP it was a great experience (and I had SquareTrade then too, so it was all great) but this time was a full pain. I appreciate my rep, Lisa, a lot for being so kind in dealing with me and communicating what she could but I am absoluately infuriated by the process of the communication from the repair center to her. If I did not spend money on coverage for my laptop, I'd be out of a good chunk of change and even more annoyed by the speck of dust, the time wasted, and just disappointment in HP's internal communication.

I did learn a lesson, however. I won't ever buy a laptop with 2 hinges like the ones on the Envy ever again. Clam shell all the way.

HP Recommended

I'm happy to say that my laptop came back with the hinge fixed.  Windows 10 was still installed and my data was there, so there was no set-up required after it came back. It's not quite in the original condition it was before it broke. It still looks like the frame got a little stressed by the hinge being broken, but we'll see how it goes.  The HP account manager was very responsive.  She checked in and let me know the status a couple of times.  Overall, my experience with HP support from this forum and who I spoke with was great.  I don't know if that's because I came to this forum after the problem was "finally" recognized by HP from this forum, and/or because the laptop was only a year old and barely out of warranty. Either way, it turned me around. I still don't like that it took HP so long to acknowlege the problem for others, but I'm more likely to try HP next time than I would have been if I  had only gotten a year out of a carefully-used laptop and a refusal to repair it. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.