Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a 3+ year old HP-G60-553NR laptop with a Synaptics Touchpad (O/S is Windows 7 64-bit).  I'm using the latest & greatest driver, recommended by HP:

2009-08-28, Version:13.2.2.0 A

This driver no longer works well at all (erratic click functions, unstable, moves across the screen on its own, etc.) but there have been no further updates from HP and multiple uninstalls/reinstalls don't fix it.  After a ton of frustration, my only solution was to download & install the latest driver set from Synaptics:

2013-02-25, Version: 16.3.15.1 (Windows 8/7/XP/Vista 64/32-bit Edition)

In principle, this has worked well and stability has returned, but with one problem; I've lost any ability to modify the Touchpad settings - and with this driver, Tap-to-Click is ENABLED by default and I want to DISABLE it.  I lost the "Device Settings" tab in the control panel a long time ago (no fix available), but there was also a companion mini-tool that could be installed/enabled in the system tray where I could toggle Tap-to-Click on/off.  That option is no longer feasible because if I install it, it reverts the driver back to 13.2.2.0 A.

My dilemma: 1) I can't return to the old driver because it's a disaster.  2) I need to stay with the new driver but hopefully find a way to disable Tap-to-Click.

I can only think of three solutions: 1) Perhaps the HP gurus or some of you who monitor these forums are aware of a newer, stable version of the driver that will work with my particular model or, 2) Someone can instruct me which key(s) in the registry toggle Tap-to-Click on/off so I can disable it myself, or 3) Use an external mouse all of the time (which is difficult to do when mobile).

Synaptics give no support and simply instructs the user to "contact your manufacturer", so here I am.  Any guidance would be highly appreciated.  Other than this problem, my laptop is rock-solid.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

SOLVED!

I continued to try to troubleshoot this problem after posting and eventually ended up at the Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP folder.  I noticed there were several applications there, so I just started executing them one-by-one.

SynTPEnh.exe is the latest version of the mini-tool, "Synaptics Touchpad Enhancements" that I'd been using.  It gives the option of loading it a single time or enabling it to load on startup into the system tray.  Left+click functions just open the control panel, but right+click brings up the proper menu where I can uncheck tap-to-click.

I hope this information is helpful to others because there are postings like mine all over the 'web across several different platforms.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

SOLVED!

I continued to try to troubleshoot this problem after posting and eventually ended up at the Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP folder.  I noticed there were several applications there, so I just started executing them one-by-one.

SynTPEnh.exe is the latest version of the mini-tool, "Synaptics Touchpad Enhancements" that I'd been using.  It gives the option of loading it a single time or enabling it to load on startup into the system tray.  Left+click functions just open the control panel, but right+click brings up the proper menu where I can uncheck tap-to-click.

I hope this information is helpful to others because there are postings like mine all over the 'web across several different platforms.

HP Recommended

To solve the problem of Synaptics Touch/Click pad settings not persisting after a reboot on an HP Pavilion Notepad with Windows 10 64-bit I needed to do the following registry change which worked fro me on 21st Jan 2016:

Run "regedit" as an Administrator

Then, in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTPInstall"
change the value of "DeleteUserSettingsOnUpgrade" from 1 to 0.

This kept my "Tapping" disabled setting after reboots.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.