Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My 2760p came with 4gb, and I've now purchased 2x 8gb to take it up to 16gb.

The existing RAM sits in the secondary RAM area (under the keyboard) with a second (primary) empty RAM slot available under the base sercie cover.

Using the service manual ( c03011611.pdf or part no.641800-002) I attempted to follow the instructions, which are essentially:

- remove battery, service cover

- remove 2 screw caps (which don't actually appear to exist on the model recently purchased)  and undo 5 captive screws

Did the above no problem, but the issues come when you try to remove the keyboard. The instructions are:

"

Insert a flat tool under the back edge (1) of the keyboard near the display hinge. Gently lift the rear edge of the keyboard (2) and disconnect the keyboard."

The issues are: A) unless I am trying to prise in the wrong place (don't think so - been probing for 20 minutes now) there is hardly any gap to insert any flat tool - by 'hardly any space' I mean I even tried a surgeon's scalpel...

and B) I thought I would try turning the unit over and gently shaking to hopefully allow the loose keyboard to drop a small amount - but the keyboard doesn't seem to move.

Question - are those instructions still current and correct?  and if so, what exactly is the knack for getting the keyboard off without wrecking it?

Thanks

p.s. HP guys - the photos in some of your manuals are not great quality (too dark) and also have been downsampled thereby removing key detail. I really don't mind downloading a 20mb manual PDF if it makes things clearer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Navigate to your model as seen in the screen shot.

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/default.htm?lang=en&cc=US&hpappid=psml

Make sure you're signed into the forum before clicking on the Media Library.

Give the video page time to load and when there, click on "Keyboard" in the left column.

Pro Book.PNG

The manuals can become out of date as new models and features are introduced. HP is really bad for not updating them, this applies to their drivers as well.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Navigate to your model as seen in the screen shot.

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/default.htm?lang=en&cc=US&hpappid=psml

Make sure you're signed into the forum before clicking on the Media Library.

Give the video page time to load and when there, click on "Keyboard" in the left column.

Pro Book.PNG

The manuals can become out of date as new models and features are introduced. HP is really bad for not updating them, this applies to their drivers as well.

HP Recommended

Hi there - thanks, that was it - the service manual showed the wrong method for removal, with no mention of the 5 tabs.

I wish the vid would zoom in to show the exact method of releasing the tabs - it's ok for the HP guy to be shoving in blades and confidently wrenching off the keyboard... if he busts it, he can just reach out and get another one!!

I've been gently probing the tabs (or as much as I can see them) with a tiny screwdriver, but will hold off until I can find a 'flat bladed non-marring tool', since I have a feeling that too much pressure could allow my metal screwdriver to puncture something.

For USD 2,000+ I kinda feel that HP could supply some of these essential tools - I mean, upgrading the memory is hardly an unusual diy operation.

HP Recommended

There's all sort's of stuff out there, here are some examples.

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Prying-Tools-green-Suction-Screwdriver/dp/B0049EUL0W

http://www.accessorygeeks.com/pry-tool-plastic-case-bu.html

I my self have used old credit cards and tooth brushes where I have sliced and ground down the handle with sand paper for a custom tool(s).

I remember when I took apart my first laptop, it was a nerve wracking experience. It takes a firm, deliberate, but gentle pry in the right spot.

HP Recommended

Great links, thanks -  never knew that type of thing existed.

And darn that I didn't think of a credit card.

Ended up going into a drugstore and buying those wooden things that women use to push their fingernail cuticles around - whilst announcing in a loud voice that they were not for me but for a computer task.  ;o)

HP Recommended

Oh boy, if you buy a 2760p you better put aside a week or so if you need to do a memory upgrade...

Have sent away for some tools (thanks) but in the meantime have tried with the wooden cuticle sticks  (non-marring...) to see if I could release the five darn 'tabs' which keep the keyboard in place.

I'll upload an image with this post, and hopefully you can see that there is a metal lip around the entire key area of the keyboard, reducing only in locations where these tabs are situated. The tabs slip over the reduced lip to thereby hold it in place.

Well, if you try pushing on the tab itself - no go.  They are totally non flexible (I even resorted to pushing gently with a metal, marring screwdriver...) so AFAIK they can never 'push back' enough to allow the keyboard unit lip to be released and pop up..

The tabs are simply fixed projections of the metal case surrounding the keyboard - they don't have any mechanism to 'push in/out'.

The only flexibility seems to be in the metal lip around the keyboard itself. So you would assume that the theing to do was to put a thin object either side of the tab, between the keboard lip and the laptop 'case', and then push forward to force the keyboard lip to bend, move forward and therefore spring up and over the tabs.

Well, this is where the fun starts. I would estimate that the gap between the keyboard lip and the laptop case is less than 0.3 mm.  Like I said, a surgeon's scalpel won't even fit.

I guess there must be a knack to it, and I may be being Tab holding keyboardrestricted by my (natural) anxiety not to accidentally scratch or wreck an USD2,000+ laptop - but given anyone trying to raise the RAM above a lousy 4gb is obliged to do this, I'm not impressed with the design.

I wonder if anything has changed design wise between the 2760p and its predecessor?  I never saw any complaints about keyboard removal before.

Shall post any results of efforts as and when they happen.  :o(

p.s. ok, watched the vid for the 2740P predecessor, and there is no mention of tabs.  Interestingly, if you watch the vid for the 2760p keyboard removel it looks (to my suspicious mind) that the keyboard was actually mostly released BEFORE the start of the vid, as they guy seems to be able to release the keyboard far too quickly and with zero pressure or aggravation.  May be wrong, but if so maybe this is just a lousy, tricky design - period.

Would be good to speak to someone who has actually worked on a 2760p keyboard.

HP Recommended

Phew - well, here to tell you that it IS actually possible to upgrade the memory on the 2760p to 16gb.

However don't even think about doing it withough buying something like e.g. an iPhone toolkit - or at least something that has a plastic device with a thin angled lip, to squeeze the keyboard forward.

(thanks to your pics and hints I was able to locate this kind of tool)

Also, you may find it fiddly to put the pointing stick ribbon back in to the ZIF slot - unless you have fingers the size of a kid's.

This kind of  nightmare really makes you respect the Japanese and Chinese people who supply us with all these items !!! - they must have the patience of a saint).

I still feel that HP should supply the non-marring tool for this kind of thing.

p.s.only casualty was my F11 key which came out complete with its rubber base thing, which I am not trying to put back in.

HP Recommended

You met the challenge head on and won, good for you !! :OpenSmile:

HP laptops were never known for their ease of disassembly. The early Compaq ones before HP bought out the company were much better. I guess HP decided to redesign everything for quick snap-together assembly, but didn't take much time to think about disassembly.

If you think yours is bad, you should try taking apart a dv8 or a HDX model. :Surprise: :indifferent:

It's not so bad after the first few tries, but the first time around is very nerve wracking.

If you need a new part for your key, the bits are available on e-bay and there is one other source, but I would have to dig for that.

HP Recommended

There are worse models?  Sheesh, I guess you are just meant to throw them away if they develop a fault... ;o)

Thanks for your inspiring words - they did keep me sane over the past few days, and I didn't repeat my usual mistake of working on an item for hours until I threw it out of the window in exasperation.  This time I did a little each day... and there was no need for a straitjacket at the end...

Except... one casualty does seem to have been the F11 button, which now does not want to 'sit' firmly but jiggles about.  And of course I am too scared now to prise off any other key to find out what the workings should look like.

I've posted a photo of the key and of the keyboard seat area - is it possible I have bent the left hand 'hook' in the keyboard seat?  I swear I haven't pushed hard on any key when reseating... but I also swear I have no idea what the 'correct' way is to remove and reseat one of these keys...  :o(

Underside of F11 key

Key seat on keyboard

HP Recommended

I've modified some of your screen shots and from what I can tell you have bent a tab on the keyboard itself.

The scissor action carriage is installed first on the keyboard. The one end of the key itself is then inserted into the carriage and the other end of the key is snapped into place.

If you take another screen shot of the underside of the key with out the carriage mounted on it, I will know for sure how it's held in place.

If you look at the bottom photo where the tab appears to be bent and compare it to the top photo, it does it fact look like the tab needs to be carefully bent back into it's original position.

Key.jpg

Bent.jpg

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.